Wiper motor wiring???

Moderator: Moderators

Wiper motor wiring???

Postby speedphreake » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:41 pm

Getting ready to get my car inspected and found the wipers don't work. They worked last time I checked, but that was awhile ago. I think the motor is bad but need to do a little more checking. I have a wiring diagram but it doesn't show which wire goes to which terminal on the motor.

Could someone tell me which wires go where? I have black, blue and yellow and just want to verify they are all in the right spots.

Thanks, Jeff
71 Vega hb
11 2500HD duramax
speedphreake

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Re: Wiper motor wiring???

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:41 pm

I believe the motors are the same on Vega's and Monza's so I checked mine and the yellow is on top, blue in the middle and black on the bottom. Black is of course a ground and the other two give you the two different speeds. If it doesn't work check for voltage between the black wire and the then to each of the other two. Could be a fuse or just some corroded connections.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby speedphreake » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:45 pm

That's the way I have it wired up but there is power at all 3 terminals. As far as I can tell with the diagram, the switch grounds the motor to turn it on so I think my motor must be fried.
71 Vega hb
11 2500HD duramax
speedphreake

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:21 pm

I take that back, the ground comes from one of the mounting screws attached to the body. Does the voltage move from one wire to another when you move the wiper switch?
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby speedphreake » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:05 pm

with the wiper switch unplugged, the motor has voltage at all 3 wires. I believe the yellow wire is power to the motor, then the other two provide ground for the hi and low speed. No matter what I did to rig and jump wires, the motor won't budge. A new motor will be here tomorrow.
71 Vega hb
11 2500HD duramax
speedphreake

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Postby 73astregt » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:36 pm

check the fuse for the wiper and see if its dead i had the same troubles you have even tried a new wiper motor and no go. tried the switch as well and still no go. only way i could get my wipers to work was to run a jumper from a spare power feed in the fuse box and power up the wiper circut fuse. once i found they worked like that i just put a toggle switch under the dash and used it to run the wipers temporaraly till i could get it checked out. this fix will only get you one speed on the wipers but it might get you on the road till you can fix it properly! hope this helps a bit. btw, its still not fixed right lol!
73 astre gt 355 small block 435 hp 435 torque edelbrock performer rpm power package
73astregt

1973 Pontiac Astre GT

Postby speedphreake » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:08 pm

Put the new motor in and all is well. Thanks
71 Vega hb
11 2500HD duramax
speedphreake

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Postby ck1971 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:51 pm

Wiring problems are right up there with root canals. :bang: I've searched/read the posts related to the wipers but still have some problems regarding my '71. (Harness has had lots of splicing but everything seems to be working BUT the wipers.)

1) Fuse is hot on supply side with key on, and hot on the feed side (yl wire going straight to the wiper motor) with the key on- so I have full time hot there. (Seems weird- I thought power would go to the switch first and then to the motor when the switch is turned on.) :?
2) I have no power at the switch with the key on.
3) The wiper motor is getting hot as a pistol with the key on, but wipers won't work.
4) Engine compartment wiring (top to bottom) I understand to be correct- yl/lt blue/blk. (this has no splicing)
5) Upon noticing the original motor super hot, I figured it was locked up and bought a new one, but it's doing the same thing.

What am I missing here?
Charlie
The older I get, the more I like older cars.....
ck1971

Postby speedphreake » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:22 pm

I found out while trying to figure out my issues is the switch provides ground for the motor when turned on. It sounds like there is a short somewhere between the motor and switch.
71 Vega hb
11 2500HD duramax
speedphreake

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Postby ck1971 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:01 pm

thanks speedphreake. I'll check that out.
Charlie
ck1971

Postby ck1971 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:13 pm

How crazy... :? After going back over the wiring, looking for shorts, etc. my new motor still didn't work. For grins I took my old motor (that had gotten hot and not worked either), set it up on top of the new one, attached the two wire plugs and SHAZAM! - it started working. :dance:

Tried the new one again and it still didn't work. How weird... Back in the saddle! :th:
Charlie
ck1971

Return to Electrical and Wiring