Where is the "low coolant relay"?

Moderator: Moderators

Where is the "low coolant relay"?

Postby GM_Ruffen74 » Tue May 04, 2010 5:19 pm

Where can i find the "low coolant relay" on my 77 Vega with 140CID engine?
There is no power to the electrical fuel pump, and i got a tip to check the "low coolant relay"..... but I cant find it.....maybe a "stupid" question but I*m new to H-body cars
Lots of good usefull inormation here, Thanks from Norway :D
GM_Ruffen74

Re: Where is the "low coolant relay"?

Postby 73Vegaguy » Tue May 04, 2010 8:13 pm

I don't know if this helps, but the dealer-installed retrofit kit on my '73 had a sender mounted in the top tank of the radiator. This was a sender that only triggered the low coolant indicator light, it wouldn't have had any effect on the fuel pump. But maybe your "relay" uses the same mounting location. If not, it's possible that if your car has the same type of sensor it may have wires that lead to the relay in question.

Ralph
73Vegaguy

Postby gotmud7 » Tue May 04, 2010 9:23 pm

If there is no or low oil pressure, it will kill power to the electric fuel pump. There is a Vega fuel pump trouble shooting guide that sells on ebay for about $5 plus shipping. That's probably your best bet. Mark
The only Vega's that only had a little rust were the ones still on the assembly line.
gotmud7

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby cjbiagi » Tue May 04, 2010 9:55 pm

If it is like a Monza, the power for the electric fuel pump comes from the oil pressure sender. The power comes through the sensor only when there is sufficient oil pressure (about 7 lbs or so). Otherwise you will only get power to the pump while cranking the engine. Once the engine starts power then comes from the oil pressure sensor. It could be a bad sensor or possibly just came unplugged.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby GM_Ruffen74 » Thu May 13, 2010 11:32 am

Thank you all for answers, I found out it is the oil pressure switch is controlling the power to the fuel pump.
It was not hooked up at all, but the oilpressure switch has only two pins and the orginal wire connection has three pins(holes), is that correct? Or do i have "wrong" type oil pressure switch? If its correct, do the "start"-wire go togeter with the "fuel"-wire inside the plug/connection? (I was told the fuelpump is operating when you crank/starting(operating the starter) Sorry for my writing, I'm not good at spelling/writing.
Thank you for a very good site, very useful for me when I'm fixing my son's 76 Vega (I'm new to H-body cars)
GM_Ruffen74

Postby cjbiagi » Thu May 13, 2010 11:47 am

The correct oil pressure sender does indeed have 3 terminals. If you need one contact me. You are correct that the fuel pump will get power from the starter selenoid during cranking. Once the engine starts then the power comes from the oil pressure sender as long as there is sufficient oil pressure. cjbiagi@yahoo.com
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby GM_Ruffen74 » Fri May 14, 2010 7:48 pm

Clyde , you got mail.
GM_Ruffen74

Return to Electrical and Wiring