battery relocation to trunk

Moderator: Moderators

Re: battery relocation to trunk

Postby rtm » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:05 pm

looking at this stuff for heat shielding;

http://www.jegs.com/i/Thermo-Tec/893/14002/10002/-1
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.
Thomas Jefferson, (Attributed)
3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)
rtm

1976 Chevrolet Monza Towne Coupe

Postby rtm » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:57 pm

not understanding the "jumper" wire depicted here,
is this correct?
also the small red "field" wire on the grey pigtail (@alternator, stock GM ) is the wire that goes to one of the smaller poles on the four pole switch, correct?
other small pole is IGN. ?
again, can I use the same factory BLUE (fuel pump) wire that was discussed earlier in this thread
negates the need to run another wire from engine compartment.
thanx in advance
BTW I stole this diagram from another site, that's why I questioned its validity.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.
rtm

Postby spencerforhire » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:52 pm

I don't like the alternator wired that way; the integral voltage regulator inside it will draw current the whole time the switch is on. On a race only vehicle that is shut off even between rounds it might be sort of ok, but if you accidentally left the switch on for a couple of hours you could be in for a nasty surprise(dead battery). I guess you could hook it up to the blue with the fuel pump and trans cooler, but you'll have to put a diode in the field wire so the engine will actually shut down when you turn off the ignition switch inside the car. The field wire is normally run in series through the "alt"(or "bat" or "charge") idiot light in the cluster and then to ignition from the key. In the absence of that idiot light, the alternator will feed voltage back into the ignition, and the engine will continue to run even with the ignition switch shut off.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby rtm » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:31 pm

IS THERE A SIMPLER WAY TO WIRE THESE SWITCHES,
AND STILL HAVE THEM WORK CORRECTLY?
I DON'T MIND RUNNING TWO WIRES FROM THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT,
JUST NEED TO KNOW WHERE FROM/WHERE TO?
THANX AGAIN
rtm

Postby spencerforhire » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:46 pm

If you're still using the stock instrument cluster and underhood harnesses, just snip the alternator's field wire(small brown or white) and extend both ends to the switch in the trunk. If you're wiring from scratch, run from the ignition toggle switch(or from your blue pump wire) to one small terminal of the shut off and from the other small terminal through a diode(banded end to the alt.) to the field terminal on the alternator.
The "fleet"-
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

spencerforhire

Postby rtm » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:01 am

still running stock harness,
would've run the wrong wire back to switch if not for your instruction :oops: :rolleyes:
sounds easy enough now.
so, the topmost small post (on the taylor switch ) will be ALT.field wire in,(from factory harness, brown in my case )
the bottom small post = ALT. field wire out (back to ALT. itself) ?
THANX
rtm

Postby spencerforhire » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:52 am

The posts are not specific; there's no "in" or "out". When the switch is on, the 2 small ones are joined together just like the 2 large ones.
If you're using the stock cluster, the idiot light will still work; good thing to have if you ever toss a fan belt at the strip. Without that light, your first indication of a broken belt is skyrocketing water temp.
The "fleet"-
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck

spencerforhire

Postby chevy art » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:30 pm

dam spence you are good. all this info is really helping me. i just have to read it a few times so i fully understand. dont really understand electricity. thanks art
chevy art

Postby rtm » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:24 pm

chevy art wrote:dam spence you are good. all this info is really helping me. i just have to read it a few times so i fully understand. dont really understand electricity. thanks art

SHOCKING
isn't it :shock: :shock: :shock: LOL
rtm

Postby chevy art » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:45 pm

rick get it all right so i can do an easy job after you do all the trial runs art
chevy art

Postby RONS PROVEGA » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:58 pm

Rick... Once you're smart enough to know how to wire then perhaps you can help me wire up my inductive shaft reluctor solenoid! :th:
Ron

'72 Vega GT, 388 chevy stroker (500 HP), TH350 (3800 stall), Ford 9" (4.11 & spools)
RONS PROVEGA

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby rtm » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:03 pm

RONS PROVEGA wrote:Rick... Once you're smart enough to know how to wire then perhaps you can help me wire up my inductive shaft reluctor solenoid! :th:

:shock:
MIGHT RUN BASS ACKWARDS ONYA
rtm

Postby rtm » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:06 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yW_sIKB ... re=related

volt cola hehehehehehe
ARE YOU THREATENING ME ???
rtm

Postby spencerforhire » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:33 pm

This thread is starting to make me have some sympathy for a high school auto shop teacher; now we just have to sort out who's who- among Rick, Art and Ron I can't decide which one is the class clown trying to entertain us, which one is the asskisser looking for brownie points and which one is the smart ass who always has to get in his 2 cents worth?
The "fleet"-
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck

spencerforhire

Postby rtm » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:06 pm

spencerforhire wrote:This thread is starting to make me have some sympathy for a high school auto shop teacher; now we just have to sort out who's who- among Rick, Art and Ron I can't decide which one is the class clown trying to entertain us, which one is the asskisser looking for brownie points and which one is the smart ass who always has to get in his 2 cents worth?

oh I think you figerd it out
YES SIR, I'LL LEAVE THE CLASSROOM NOW !!!! :wink: :lol:
rtm

PreviousNext

Return to Electrical and Wiring