what are these things?

Moderator: Moderators

what are these things?

Postby rtm » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:02 am

anyone know where I can find the connectors this guy is using?
what are they called?
http://www.ehow.com/video_4467439_insta ... relay.html
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.
Thomas Jefferson, (Attributed)
3rd president of US (1743 - 1826)
rtm

1976 Chevrolet Monza Towne Coupe

Re: what are these things?

Postby cosvega76 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:30 am

They look like uninsulated butt connectors to me. Nothing special, should be able to get them at the local auto parts store. That, some solder, and heat shrink tubing.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby rtm » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 pm

If you watch closely, the butt connector BECOMES the solder.

why else would you put heat to an uninsulated butt connector?
you can actually watch them melt if you switch to full screen mode.
just wondering if anyone has any idea where to get them
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.
rtm

Postby rtm » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:45 pm

similar item;

http://terminaltown.com/Pages/Page102.html
I was always told NOT to use "crimp" connectors, as they build electrical resistance.
these look like a feasable alternative
rtm

Postby rtm » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:06 pm

found similar connectors @ home depot
supposedly melt solder w/ heat gun ?
I'll let you know how they work out
rtm

Postby monzaaddict » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:47 pm

rtm wrote:If you watch closely, the butt connector BECOMES the solder.

Look again he is adding solder. The length of solder is visible but his second hand is out of the picture
monzaaddict

Postby spencerforhire » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:54 pm

I use "solder'n'shrink" terminals regularly when I'm dealing with large current draw in a corrosion-prone area; they're a bit pricey, but way faster than the alternative- using dual -wall heat shrink over a normal soldered connection. They're available through most auto parts or electrical supply dealers.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby rtm » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:41 pm

monzaaddict wrote:
rtm wrote:If you watch closely, the butt connector BECOMES the solder.

Look again he is adding solder. The length of solder is visible but his second hand is out of the picture

you're right, man, it sucks to be so blind at such a young age :oops:
rtm

Postby rtm » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:44 pm

spencerforhire wrote:I use "solder'n'shrink" terminals regularly when I'm dealing with large current draw in a corrosion-prone area; they're a bit pricey, but way faster than the alternative- using dual -wall heat shrink over a normal soldered connection. They're available through most auto parts or electrical supply dealers.

these are what I found @ home cheapo
look harder to install, but save an extra step
spence, what do you use for a heat source ?
rtm

Postby spencerforhire » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:53 pm

It's hard to generate enough heat with a normal heat gun to properly melt the solder; I use this butane soldering torch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The "fleet"-
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

spencerforhire

Postby rtm » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:01 pm

spencerforhire wrote:It's hard to generate enough heat with a normal heat gun to properly melt the solder; I use this butane soldering torch.

so, it takes some skill not to "scorch" the shrink tubing,
I'll have to learn the hard way :rolleyes:
rtm

Postby NVEGAR8D » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:07 am

Hi,
i just use a soldering gun to solder and then toshrink the tubing onto the connection.
nick75vega
NVEGAR8D

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby spencerforhire » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:22 am

Oh yeah It's real easy to overheat the shrink before the solder melts;I like the Ronson torch because it has 2 adjustments- one for flow and one for mixture. It can be used to solder very fine wires with it's tip installed or gently heat shrink tube right up to soldering 2/0 wire terminals with an open flame.
Actually, the solder inside those special terminals is a low temp alloy; you are supposed to able to use a match or disposable lighter to heat them.
The "fleet"-
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck

spencerforhire

Postby rtm » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:50 am

spencerforhire wrote:Oh yeah It's real easy to overheat the shrink before the solder melts;I like the Ronson torch because it has 2 adjustments- one for flow and one for mixture. It can be used to solder very fine wires with it's tip installed or gently heat shrink tube right up to soldering 2/0 wire terminals with an open flame.
Actually, the solder inside those special terminals is a low temp alloy; you are supposed to able to use a match or disposable lighter to heat them.

kinda like my welding skills i guess,
I can "bench weld" just fine, but get me in a tight spot, at a wierd angle, and :bang:
if I find these connectors too difficult for my tiny brain :wiggle: , I'll go back to more conventional methods.
rtm

Postby Ishiftem » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:27 pm

I have tried those things. I personally don't like them. I find I damage the insulation 50% of the time trying to get the solder to melt.
Any one can restore a car but, it takes a real man to cut one up.
Ishiftem

Next

Return to Electrical and Wiring