2002 Buick LeSabre Custom massive electrical issues

Moderator: Moderators

2002 Buick LeSabre Custom massive electrical issues

Postby Chris » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:08 pm

No power locks, windows, mirrors, interior lights, trunk release, and unknown driver...

My girlfriends 2002 POS LeSabre has been plagued with this issue since she purchased it in 2005. Dealer has refused to service the car under warranty (we won't get into that, they wouldn't even inspect it after it was sold! She had to have about $1,000 worth or brake work done to it after she purchased it and I had to replace the coil packs and ICM so it would run without stalling). Since someone hasn't stolen it yet, it looks like I need to fix it. One day the windows decided not to go up (Yes, the windows have been stuck about 1/4 way down for several years with packaging tape filling the gaps - lovely when you live in northern VT). The power locks stopped working, along with the trunk release and power mirrors. The DIC also started displaying "Unknown Driver" and the radio refuses to shut off.

I replaced every single fuse in the panel in the engine bay and under the seat with the fuses that have LEDs that light when they blow. Not a single fuse was bad. Checked all relays and circuit breakers with my multimeter, everything is fine. I only have a standard OBD-II code reader that will not read the "body codes" and she won't bring the car to any dealership to get the codes read, because she's afraid of what else they're going to find wrong with the piece of crap. So yeah, she REFUSES to have it serviced.

I purchased a Hayes repair manual to get the wiring diagrams to trace wires and test circuits and most of the problem items run to the RKE module which might explain the "unknown driver" and refusal of the remote not working (although nothing works manually either). If this was an older car, my first thought would be one of the door plungers to sense if the doors are opened or closed, but this car has none.

I've seen this problem multiple times before, but never seen it fixed. She can't sell the piece of crap, we can't get it stolen, and so far the 3800 hasn't caught fire so it looks like I need to fix it. I can't find anywhere what "senses" the doors being opened/closed, because it acts as if one of the doors are open - when in reality they're all closed.

Looking for some guidance here because I'm at wit's end.
Chris

Re: 2002 Buick LeSabre Custom massive electrical issues

Postby res0o7eb » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:27 pm

Wrong H-body site. This is for the 70's RWD Vega, Astre, Monza, Sunbird, Skyhawk, Starfire.

You want the other FWD H-bodies from the 80's and 90's - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_H_platform_%28FWD%29.
Although, I can relate to your issue - seems every GM car I have has some sort of electrical problem.
Normally, on h-body.org, electrical issues/questions are fixed/answered with ensuring a good ground. Nothing complicated here like computers, fuel injection, and electric windows.

Don't know where their forum is or what it is called.
I do like the 80''s Buick LeSabre T-Type. They have their own site - http://www.lesabret-type.com/index.html

Would be interesting if we added a section here and then had the FWD members pay something to support the entire site to get rid of those annoying SQL Errors.
res0o7eb

1977 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Re: 2002 Buick LeSabre Custom massive electrical issues

Postby meangreen73vega » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:56 pm

I think in those cars the "door open" switch is in the door latch itself. I'm not entirely sure on this but I've heard similar problems on other cars and that was the case...he this helps.

Rick :th:
Drive, break, repair...repeat!

72 Vega, 350 ZZ4, patriot heads, air gap intake, 750 dbl pump...power glide...
meangreen73vega

1973 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Return to Electrical and Wiring