amp or volt gauge

Moderator: Moderators

amp or volt gauge

Postby 76Vega » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:30 am

I recently purchased a Cosworth wiring harness from Art(thank you Art), anywho, I installed it on my gt dash(year unknown) it fits excellent except for the amp gauge wiring, I was wondering if the Cosworth used a Volt gauge or Amp Gauge, before i take the wires out of the connector and put them in my old one.
Thanks Dave.
David
1972 Vega GT
76Vega

1976 Chevrolet Vega

Re: amp or volt gauge

Postby monzaaddict » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:17 am

cosworth's got a volts gauge. If you are removing the wires from the connector for the volts gauge and the connector is not damaged I would like to buy it. I want to put a volts gauge into a 75 monza dash which is the same as a gt vega dash
monzaaddict

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:39 am

A volt gauge is easier to install and will pretty much tell you what you need to know. My 75 Monza came with a amp gauge and it is useful to see if the alternator is working properly. If you throw a belt or the alternator craps out you will see it immediately because it will go into a discharge mode. So, both are handy but if I were just going to do one I'd go with a volt meter. I did add a voltmeter into my dash by removing the clock and installing it there and then added a clock to my gauge cluster in the dash pad so I have both.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby 76Vega » Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:27 pm

Thanks for the info, but i would rather have a volt gauge so i will be on the hunt for a factory volt gauge to replace the amp gauge the dash has already.
David
1972 Vega GT
76Vega

1976 Chevrolet Vega

Postby azbigal » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:13 pm

Ok, I found a Vega GT volt meter that is I a perfect fit in place of the amp meter in my 75 Monza instrument cluster. The question is it as simple as using the two amp meter wires to make the volt meter work? If not how do I wire it properly? Thanks for any help. AL
azbigal

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Monza Harry » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:34 pm

azbigal To power your volt gauge you could run a wire from the IGN terminal on the fuse panel to the +ve terminal on the volt Gauge and -ve to ground. Volt meter is that easy! Now for your unused Amp Gauge wiring, that is a little tougher those wires need to be connected together to make the rest of the electrical system function as designed. Ideally you would like those out from under your dash, not absolutely necessary, just preferred, and that is the hard part to do, neatly and safely without your neck and back trying to kill you from the inside out! Harry (Does your user name stand for Arizona Big Al?)
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby spencerforhire » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:01 am

Harry pretty well covered it; those two old ammeter wires carry the load for the whole electrical system on an early Vega and would need to be bypassed if you didn't have a newer car. All you need to hook to the volt gauge has also been covered.
But(there's always a but), the main connector at the firewall may have to be re-pinned to match your car. You will have to compare the old and new harnesses to see what's different.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Return to Electrical and Wiring