Rewire Fuel pump with relay to batt

Moderator: Moderators

Rewire Fuel pump with relay to batt

Postby 76 bird » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:12 am

May do this and wanted to see if any one else has tried this.

Here is a link

http://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced%20 ... relay.html

Is this the best way to tackle this? I will be replacing the fuel pump today and the previous owner seems to run some thin speaker wire from the wiper motor fuse to the pump.

So, should I just replace the speaker wire with a more correct gauge wire (what gauge) or go ahead and go with the rewire to the battery with a relay?
76 bird

1976 Pontiac Sunbird

Re: Rewire Fuel pump with relay to batt

Postby speedphreake » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:51 am

That's the way I have my pump wired with the relay. I'm using a switched power at the fuse panel to turn the relay on. I have 18 gauge wire for power and ground to turn the relay on and 12 gauge from the battery to the relay, then to the pump. My pump and relay are less than 2 ft from my battery in the trunk, so you may want to run 10 gauge if your battery is still up front. Keep the relay close to the battery.
71 Vega hb
11 2500HD duramax
speedphreake

1971 Chevrolet Vega

Re: Rewire Fuel pump with relay to batt

Postby chevyart » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:34 am

bird you definitely should wire the pump that way. everyone that has an electric fuel pump should run a relay system.i always use the 10 guage wire from battery to relay and i always use a 12 guage wire for the rest of setup. a little heavier is always better than less for something like thiis. one thing i always do when starting with an electric fuel fump is to turn it on and prime it, shut pump off and start car and then turn pump back on just so things dont get flooded with a mis-start or whatever else could go wrong in a race car. make sure you buy a quality relay. alot of junk out there from china. also should have the 5 prongs instead of just 3. i think that is what spence has advised in a post . good luck art
chevyart

Return to Electrical and Wiring