fuel cell wiring

Moderator: Moderators

fuel cell wiring

Postby finest20 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:35 pm

Hello
I have a 1971 vega pro street project. I am installing a fuel cell in the back and I want to use the factory wiring for the gas gauge hook up. The factory wire in a plug type. Can I just connect to anywhere on the fuel cell or do they have to go in certain place? I believe they are just completing an ohm connection right, so they should be able to go anywhere? thanx
finest20

Re: fuel cell wiring

Postby spencerforhire » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:58 pm

The Vega fuel sender plug has 3 wires; Tan-gauge, Blue-pump and black-ground. If the sender in the fuel cell only has one wire terminal, hook the black wire to a ring terminal on one of the sender attachment bolts. If you're not using the OEM pump or wiring ignore the blue.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Re: fuel cell wiring

Postby HAULIN' IT » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:52 pm

Finest, You have 2 wires you need to deal with & I believe your getting them confused. There needs to be a ground wire, which goes from the top of the sending unit to a chassis ground. The other one goes from the gauge cluster to the sending unit that has the resister (the sending unit float) that gives the the gauge the ohm reading from a full 12v to vary the amount of fuel shown. By Spencers post...should be the Tan wire. One thing to be aware of is that Ford/Mopar gauges read opposite (full vs. empty) in ohms compared to GM. Your sender needs to be a "GM" sender to match your gauge or is will read backwards, many are sold with Ford/Mopar. Lorne
HAULIN' IT

Return to Electrical and Wiring