Horn Wiring

Moderator: Moderators

Horn Wiring

Postby finest20 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:49 am

Hello Everyone
I need help with the original horn wiring on my 71 Vega. When I bought the car, the guy had installed an after market steering wheel. The horn did not work at the time. I was able to find an original steering wheel to re-install on the car. When I took off the after market wheel, I noticed that the wire coming from that plastic stem was broken off. I can still see a portion of the wire inside the hole. My question is this:

On the original wheel, when you take the cap off, there are 2 metal plates separated by a plasitc spacer. The bottom plate is in contact with the wheel frame, and the top plate is bowed so it will flex and touch the bottom plate when you press on it. Am I correct in saying that the wire is supposed to go to the top plate? I assume that the bottom plate is ground and the top plate will complete the circuit when pressed and sound the horn? Can I just simply solder the wire to the top plate?

Thanks for the help.
finest20

Re: Horn Wiring

Postby spencerforhire » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:01 am

It sounds like you're missing the OEM horn contact; it clips into the white plastic post sticking up through the lock plate. It rides on the slip ring down inside and the spring loaded pin contacts the upper wave spring. As you guessed, grounding it out against the metal of the steering wheel triggers the horn relay. I don't think you'll have any luck trying to solder anything to that wave spring; you should be able to get the contact pieces out of any older(pre-air bag) GM vehicle.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Return to Electrical and Wiring