Remote starter switch issue - 73 Vega GT

Moderator: Moderators

Remote starter switch issue - 73 Vega GT

Postby ol55 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:35 pm

The PO put a summit remote starter switch on. We had the car running,now no go :bang: . The red wire hanging on the starter switch was hanging under the dash and is connected to the green wire on the starter button. I suspect this wire was connected somewhere and the only connections are on the fusebox. Is there a way to confirm before I try it and which connection should I use?
( If any of this makes sense, it is pure coincidence)

Thanks, Larry
'73 Vega GT Hatchback hot rod.
'76 Cosworth
ol55

Re: Remote starter switch issue - 73 Vega GT

Postby Smiley » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:29 am

Maybe Spencer will chime in....
It looks to be wired differently than I would do it.
Are you saying the loose red wire is an extension of the green wire that comes off the back of the push button ?
Where does the yellow wire go ?
Where does the red wire attached to the toggle come from ?

what I would do-
toggle switch:
red wire - 12v source from fuse box or battery, 12 volts both toggle positions
yellow wire- to positive + coil terminal, 12 volts only when toggle is on
black wire- to push button switch, really just a jumper to get 12 volts to the push button

push button switch:
black wire- from toggle switch for 12v source, (from red terminal always on- from the yellow 12 volts only when toggle is on)
green wire- output to starter solenoid for cranking, 12 volts only when button is pushed

link to Allstar wiring example http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/all80140-62_switch_panel.pdf
Smiley

Postby spencerforhire » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:47 pm

Not enough information for me to be of any help. Can`t tell much in the tiny pics. Maybe if we get some answers to Smiley`s questions we can figure it out.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby ol55 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:20 pm

More info: the wire is hot when toggle is in the on position- 12v then drops some when starter button is pushed. The coil is not getting 12v at anytime so pretty certain that is the coil feed wire. Is there any place on the fuse panel that the coil wire goes to? Or the steering column? I think we pulled this wire loose so prefer not to rewire - just want to put it back with no surprizes.

Try bigger pics.

Thanks,
Larry
'76 Cosworth
ol55

Postby Smiley » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:15 pm

The factory ignition switch usually supplies power to the coil in the run and crank positions,
so the harness that plugs into the switch on the lower part of the column would have a wire leading to the coil.
does it crank over when you push the button ? with the wire loose ?
a pink wire with a black stripe under the dash should feed the positive side of the coil.
Smiley

Postby spencerforhire » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:21 am

i wonder if the previous owner had the output wire of the switch panel plugged into the "IGN" spade terminal of the fuse box? This would supply power to the coil and other under the hood circuits. Horribly wrong in that it is exactly backwards from normal, but I guess technically speaking it would work. The supplied pic of the fuse box is too fuzzy to read the markings, but the 4 male spade terminals are usually BAT, ACC, IGN and DASH(dimmable back lighting)
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby ol55 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:21 pm

Smiley wrote:The factory ignition switch usually supplies power to the coil in the run and crank positions,
so the harness that plugs into the switch on the lower part of the column would have a wire leading to the coil.
does it crank over when you push the button ? with the wire loose ?
a pink wire with a black stripe under the dash should feed the positive side of the coil.

The factory switch no longer (was) supplying the 12v to the coil. Prior to the recent snafu, the coil was getting 12V when the toggle on the remote start was on. It does crank freely.I saw the pink wire and will follow that when I get a chance.

spencerforhire wrote:i wonder if the previous owner had the output wire of the switch panel plugged into the "IGN" spade terminal of the fuse box? This would supply power to the coil and other under the hood circuits. Horribly wrong in that it is exactly backwards from normal, but I guess technically speaking it would work. The supplied pic of the fuse box is too fuzzy to read the markings, but the 4 male spade terminals are usually BAT, ACC, IGN and DASH(dimmable back lighting)

I plugged the wire into the "IGN" spade. Still no go and seemed to be no effect. Is that terminal fused?

Sorry about the fuzzy, small pics.

Not sure what the stock GT has, but this car has a Battery and an Ammeter gauge on the dash. They have round connectors not flat connectors like the red wire.

I am looking at the red wire as the problem because it was an unconnected , but it may not even be the wire. I do know I don't have 12v at the coil and it won't start :bang:

Thanks for all input!

Larry
'76 Cosworth
ol55

Postby Smiley » Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:53 am

Since your wiring is already "modified", you could just extend the loose (switched 12 volt) red wire from the toggle all the way to the + side of the coil to get it running again.
Long term if you are going to drive it much with the point distributor "hotwired" an inline ballast resistor is recommended.
The factory resistor wire keeps the coil from running too hot and extends the life of the points.
When running an aftermarket external ballast resistor, another wire is recommended from the "R" terminal on the starter solenoid to the + side of the coil.
The extra wire sends full power to the coil while cranking to make up for the voltage drop the starter causes while turning the engine over.
Last edited by Smiley on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Smiley

Postby ol55 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:43 pm

Not much of an update-replaced dizzy (see other post) and I have continuity from the red mystery wire inside to the coil positive which I will need for the HEi distributor. I wonder if this wire was attached to the column?

Thanks,
Larry
'76 Cosworth
ol55

Postby Smiley » Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:24 am

the picture is a little blurry,
does it crank over with the push button ?
Is the black jumper wire between the toggle and the push button connected to the yellow wire terminal ?
if so then:
the yellow wire needs to be connected to a 12 volt positive source to power both switches
the red wire to the coil positive input on the distributor (in the cap on a GM HEI)
the green wire to the starter solenoid

Smiley

Postby ol55 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:48 pm

For some reason I am getting 12 v to the coil and the car is running. I still can not find where the wire goes but it is a 12V source for something. Here is a pic from the other side.

The ignition switch seems to have no function other than to lock the wheel.

Thanks,
Larry
'76 Cosworth
ol55

Return to Electrical and Wiring