75 Astre ignition switch

Moderator: Moderators

75 Astre ignition switch

Postby jackbn » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:25 pm

this is a conversion car that I picked up last fall, didn't have an engine or trans in it so I added a 327 and th400 to it. Anyway I just added the battery and got the cables hooked up so I could test my wiring to the started and also wanted to make sure the stock ignition would work. I have a Summit mini starter and I think it is wired properly. Anyway I turn the key on and promptly saw a "Gen" and "Coolant" light lit up. Soooo, the real test was to see if the starter was going to work, so I did the normal twist and NOTHING (starter did not turn). Now I need to tell you that I did not have an outside engine wiring harness so I found a 76 Vega (w/AC) harness on Ebay and am using it. Now if my memory serves me right my wife bought a 76 Astre (1st brand new car she owned) and I believe you either had to have it in neutral or the clutch in to start it ???? Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
jackbn

Re: 75 Astre ignition switch

Postby jackbn » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:17 pm

Ok I did a little more researching and found that the purple wire to the starter solenoid also is linked to the oil pressure switch. So with the key in the "On" position (not the twisting start position) and by jumping the pink and the purple wires in the female switch ends the starter will turn, so how do you wire to bypass this switch ?
jackbn

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:44 am

Well Jack(?) I wouldn't bypass the Oil Pressure/Fuel Pump switch. This is one of those "Nannies" that the OEM's forced upon us, that is an absolutely GREAT idea. If the car doesn't have Oil pressure the fuel pump shuts off, great when your engine stalls, you have an accident or someone "Stupid" is driving your baby with no oil pressure! :shock: There are many threads on here with great detail that will definitely help you with this. Now that "Purple wire" should go to the "IGN" terminal on the starter to "prime" the fuel for initial start-up, I am of the impression that your car hasn't had the "Neutral/Clutch safety" wiring properly adapted to your new arrangement. Another possibility is that the ignition switch isn't adjusted to fully engage the start circuit when turned to "Start" [two screws on the top[ish] of the column] from possible prior alteration/improper adjustment. This is just a starting place to help out, again search the old threads and follow those along, it will be easier for us to fill in the blanks you don't follow than start from scratch again. Harry
Monza Harry forgot to Include, wrote:Oh and Welcome Aboard this awesome site! :D
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cosvega76 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:26 am

Yes, the purple wire goes to the oil pressure switch, but that is so the fuel pump gets power while cranking. From the ignition switch, the starter circuit goes through either the neutral safety switch for an automatic (at the shifter), or the clutch safety switch (at the clutch pedal) for a manual. You need to find that connection and either install the proper safety switch or bypass it by shorting the two wires together.
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Return to Electrical and Wiring