Oil pressure/volt meter troubles

Moderator: Moderators

Oil pressure/volt meter troubles

Postby monzacoupe » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:53 pm

Hi all, I have the dual oil pressure/volt gauge in my car, what would be the most common reason that it's not working? It is seated properly into the dash and I couldn't find a fuse specifically for that gauge in the box. Bad connection or broken pathway on the circuit board in the back of the gauge cluster? Any help is always appreciated.

Rick
monzacoupe

1980 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Re: Oil pressure/volt meter troubles

Postby spencerforhire » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:46 am

If the other small gauge(temp), and the idiot lights work, then the fuse would not be the problem. First question is, did it ever work? One thing that comes to my mind is if someone swapped a Spyder gauge cluster into a base model car, the wiring would not match up.
If the needles used to work and now they don't, it very well could be a broken trace on the circuit board, most likely the ignition + feed.
The "fleet"-
72 Vega HB Drag Car -383/'Glide/9"(9.35@146.19)(5.94@117.28 1/8th)
77 Vega Estate wagon- project(someday)will have TPI305/T-5, S-10 spindles/axles
76 Vega GT- 400/4spd/9" retired from active duty(rusty)
06 Silverado 2WD ex.cab daily
03 Silverado 2WD ex.cab (retired)
06 Haulin' 20ft enclosed car transporter
06 GMC Canyon Shop truck
07 Colorado project( 5.3 4L60e swap)
99 Saturn SL1- wife's car
01 Saturn SC2- son's project
07 Saturn Ion Redline project
and 4 more Saturn "parts cars"
Note- the very act of listing all of these has made me realize I have some kind of problem.....

Visit http://www.spencerforhire.ca
spencerforhire

1972 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby monzacoupe » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:34 am

They did work when I bought the car, then I swapped out the dash for another but kept the original circuit board. When I refit the wires in the back, some didn't have the same amount of play in then, not as much slack, maybe that's making it have a poor connection at the main plug-in in the back? Hopefully. I'll be crawling under there again when the snow is off the ground and Monza!

Rick
monzacoupe

1980 Chevrolet Monza Coupe

Postby sparksfl1 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:35 am

I've seen two possible issues with these gauge cluster issues, cracks in the printed wiring especially at the bends where the plug goes in and folds the copper tabs. The clips that snap into the the cluster and make connection with printed wiring and supposedly grip the studs on the back of the gauge can be problematic also, clean and re-tension. Sounds like loss of power or ground connection to that gauge unit.
sparksfl1

Return to Electrical and Wiring