Horn not working

Moderator: Moderators

Horn not working

Postby RobR » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:02 am

The horn in the Monza is not working and I'd like to get that working.

First question is where are the horns located? I can't seem to find them anywhere

Second question is how to do take the horn button off the wheel? I have the 4 spoke GT wheel in the car, like the Vega and Camaro. Don't want to break the cap off by doing it wrong.

Then finally, if needed, what is the wiring for the horn to get it to work?

I know I have to get in there as the turn signal switch is loose and I want to tighten that up. So getting to it without breaking anything would be high on the list.

Thanks for any help,
Rob
Rob
75 Cosworth Vega 576
RobR

1975 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Re: Horn not working

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:22 pm

Rob the horn are on the left* side underneath, if you lift the hood and see where the charcoal canister is/should be the horns are under that section you should be able with a little contortionist maneuvering be able to see them from the right front wheel well opening. The horn button just pulls straight off, there is picture of it here sitting on the seat of this car:
Vega Horn Button.jpg
Let's start there and we'll fill in the gaps as we discover what is going on, this could easily be the horns from sitting unused for a long time or the relay or just as likely the horn button [switch has lots of places to go WRONG!] these have been known to be a PITA! Harry
*Edit apparently a memory failure AGAIN :bang:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Monza Harry on Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby RobR » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:41 am

Thanks. I'll check it out when I get home from work.

I just didn't want to break the horm button by prying it off the wrong way.

Thanks again
Rob
75 Cosworth Vega 576
RobR

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:26 am

Umm, my horn is on the Left hand side behind the turn signal. When you press the horn button you should be able to hear the horn relay click. That would be the first easy check. The horn button applies a ground for the relay. You can also check for power at the horn, and clean all the connections under there. It could just be a lot of corrosion under the fender. If you can't find anything obvious then you will need to start making some voltage checks.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby RobR » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:25 pm

Mine was on the driver's side. It looks like a single horn with a green wire to it. Seems to be hooked up ok from the angle I was at looking at it.

I hear a click but it seems to be just the horn button making that sound. I don't hear any relays inside the engine compartment making any noise.

I'll pop off the horn button when I get a chance.

Is there a fuse just for the horn?

Thanks
Rob
75 Cosworth Vega 576
RobR

Postby 79MonzaSpyder » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:14 pm

Hi Rob, If you hear a click at the horn I would check for 12 volts at the horn with someone pressing the horn button, or jump 12 volts straight to the horn (with the green wire off of it), or take the horn off the car and test it connected to a 12 volt car battery. GM used those horns on almost every GM for years and they do die. I have replaced my fair share of them over the years having owned many 70's and 80's GMs. My truck alone I've replaced them, (it has two, a High tone and a Low tone), at least twice over 35 years. If you want to get at all the horn bits and pieces in the column you will get at some by pulling the button off but the rest are south of the steering wheel and south of the steering lock mechanism. You would need to take the steering wheel off and the lock steering plate off. take pictures as you go because there are certainly a few bits and pieces, springs and the like. You would need a steering wheel puller, or you can make a steering wheel puller fairly simply with a plate (drill two holes in it at the spacing for the two bolts that will thread into the steering wheel), two bolts to thread into the steering wheel and then fit a socket between the plate and the steering column shaft (after taking the steering wheel retaining bolt off the shaft) and after marking the relationship between the shaft and the steering wheel for reference during reassembly. Then tighten down the two bolts and the plate should pinch the socket between the plate and shaft and pop the wheel off the shaft. The steering lock plate is spring loaded and has a small ring clip around the steering shaft. You can reach it by pushing down on the lock plate and compressing the spring. I just use a couple small screwdrivers and pop the ring out of the groove and slide it up off the shaft. I'm sure there is a tool for that but I have never used one, the lock plate is keyed to match the groves in the steering shaft so it only fits back on in one position. I have taken these columns apart too many times to count. The first time is the hardest but after you do it a few times it gets a lot easier. I used to part out late 70's early 80's GMs years ago so I have taken lots of them apart.
The Fleet
2018 Toyota Camry XSE V6
79 Chevrolet 3/4 ton Pickup Fully Restored with matching 78 11' Camper
80 Monza 2+2, Cloned into a 79 Monza Spyder V8 4 Speed (Current Project)
80 Monza Spyder V6 Auto (parts car, sadly)
80 Honda CB750K Fully Restored with Custom Full Dress
80 Honda CM400A 10,000 Orig. Miles Full Dress
75 Honda XL250 Fully Restored (first vehicle I ever owned)
73 Honda SL125 off roader
72 Honda Motorsport 250 (XL250) off roader
79MonzaSpyder

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:07 pm

The click comes from the horn relay under the dash, not in the engine compartment. You need to make some simple voltage checks to narrow down the problem. Check for 12v on the horn wire to ground while pressing the horn button. It could be a bad ground between the horn and the chassis due to corrosion. Some simple checks will narrow down the problem.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Monza Harry » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:49 am

I have saved a number of horns [and will probably have to do the one on my car again, haven't pushed it in ~10 years] they operate similar to a door bell and under car isn't the most contact friendly place, the contacts will get corroded/dirty and the horn will not work. Try some WD-40 or better yet Electrical Contact Cleaner after you blow all of the "Spyder" [Ha Ha] webs out, and try again, it will usually sound pretty weak but they sometimes get better as the points clean them selves up with use. The "Lock Plate Remover" is a handy way of getting that plate off, not too expensive anymore [due to China pricing] here is a link: https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/ ... -p2990128e
Lock Plate Remover.jpg
I know "Horror Fright" used to sell these as well. Many parts stores have them in their "Loan-a-Tool" program, this is the hardest part [for me anyway] of dealing with the horn button /turn signal switches. Horn itself (or the plug on the horn) has been #1, and switch was #2 problems for me, I have never had a relay problem [Yet Jinx! :bang: ] Harry P.S. I edited my memory fade in my post above.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby RobR » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:58 pm

I'll let you know what I come up with. Hoping this weekend, I can at least try to clean the contact at the horn.

Thanks again
Rob
75 Cosworth Vega 576
RobR

Postby RobR » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:53 pm

Cleaned the contact and wire at the horn. Was pretty clean with no visible corrosion, That didn't do anything. Guess I'll be doing the steering wheel next.

Do horns ever go bad?
Rob
75 Cosworth Vega 576
RobR

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:41 pm

They can, you can try applying 12v to it and see if it it blows. That would be easy and eliminate that. Have you tried listening for the horn relay click under the dash?
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby RobR » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:45 pm

The "click" I hear is from pushing the horn button. More of a little pop that comes from pushing in plastic. If that makes sense.
Rob
75 Cosworth Vega 576
RobR

Postby HI WINDING MONZA » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:39 pm

I've only had one horn go bad in the multiple GM cars and trucks I've owned, ( my current 92 Sunbird is the one) usually it's the horn button or the ground to the horn were it mounts to the body. Take it off and try it directly to the battery terminals to eliminate the horn itself.

Doug in P.R.8)
My Old Monza now lives in Arizona with its newest owner.

The 90's just keep rollin' along........
1990 Chevrolet Silverado Regular Cab Long Bed 350 TBI V8 700R4 118K miles
1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe 2.0 OHC MPFI I4 TH125C 157k miles
HI WINDING MONZA

Postby RobR » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:05 pm

Well the horn works. Hooked it up to the battery and it honked.

Where is the horn relay located?

That's next and then take the wheel off when ever I get a chance.

Thanks for all the help :th:
Rob
75 Cosworth Vega 576
RobR

Postby HI WINDING MONZA » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:39 am

It has a 3 prong plug with a square relay, not sure exactly but underneath the dash somewhere near the column .

Doug in P.R. 8)
My Old Monza now lives in Arizona with its newest owner.

The 90's just keep rollin' along........
1990 Chevrolet Silverado Regular Cab Long Bed 350 TBI V8 700R4 118K miles
1992 Pontiac Sunbird Coupe 2.0 OHC MPFI I4 TH125C 157k miles
HI WINDING MONZA

Return to Electrical and Wiring