Wiring the engine compartment

Moderator: Moderators

Wiring the engine compartment

Postby straws » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:12 pm

Hi All,

I just picked up my 1975 vega last week. I have only driven up the street and back, and already burned off the wires to the starter. It seems the young man...20 yo, who wired the car needs a lot of electrical training. In fact I need a little guidance on Chevy's also.

The engine is a 350/350 auto, withe HEI, and two electric fans. It seems the young man wired everything from the the alternator for power, routing one wire precariously to the battery over the sharp edges of the radiator. Then there are several more wires grouped together off these wires (daisy chained), still from the alternator. I have worked exclusively at a Ford Dealer, then the post office on fleet vehicles for years. Modifications are actually new to me, but I know wrong when I see it!

Can anyone send me a diagram/pics of a properly wired engine compartment? A detailed description would help as an alternative.

All the options are: two fans, starter, HEI ignition, Batter. Inside the car there is a stereo, and an electronic dash board (leds, so low amperage for sure). Please help. nstraws@hotmail.com (St. Louis, Mo). Thank you all
straws

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby ColinOpseth » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:32 pm

hey Norm,
I don't believe that I have any wiring schematics for your year of car. It's possible that V8VegaMan will.

From the sounds of it, that setup is dead wrong.

Have you considered a universal carbureted harness from Painless Wiring? That should be pretty cheap and you can buy a fan relay kit that will splice right in.

Later,
Colin
'72 Vega with '93 Camaro LT1/M29 T56/12 bolt 3.31. 16" IROCs all around. Sanderson headers into duals with an H-pipe and Flowmasters. It's loud but at least it's faster than your grandma's Buick. pwned.
ColinOpseth

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby zeke » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:09 am

Hello all, nice site here eh!

Here's a wiring diagram for Chevrolet starting and charging. Click the pic for a full size jpg.

If u would like to add extra power feeds for amplifiers etc. , best to draw power straight from battery positive terminal thru an appropriate fuse holder at the battery.

Hope this helps. :)
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby straws » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:33 pm

Now that is a no non-sense wiring diagram. Thanks
straws

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby zeke » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:11 am

No problem straws!

The factory wiring at the starter may have only one fusible link and a splice inside the engine harness - same thing.

Fusible link is simply a short piece of fusible link wire which has some resistance and will burn open during an short or over current condition. Good page here about them:

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/electrical-links.html
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby peterpan » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:27 am

i have actual diagrams for vegas way to many to post here send me a message and i will email them to you i just piced one as a example peterpan6373@yahoo.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Return to Electrical and Wiring