Help needed with engine compartment wiring

Moderator: Moderators

Help needed with engine compartment wiring

Postby Hoonbash » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:24 pm

Hi Guys

All the mechanical work and fabbing is done,(rad wasn't too bad)now it's onto wiring the beast and have run into a small problem on the 74 Vega.

The previous owner was a wire cutting artist :? I have had to unravel the harness that goes to the starter and in it I've found a yellow 10 gauge? wire that is cut at the approximate height of the distributor.It originates down at the fuse-box firewall connector.

This wire has no power with the key on or off.Anyone know what it's for or where it goes?

I have tried to read this wiring schematic but can't figure it out.

http://www.v8monza.com/voodoo_perf/vega ... neComp.jpg

Thanks
87 GTA
70 Skylark
75 Vega GT
79 Sunbird
76 Sunbird
72 CoupDevile
Hoonbash

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby peterpan » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:47 pm

i still have the originals of those wiring diagrams if it will help out
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Re: Help needed with engine compartment wiring

Postby zeke » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:06 am

Hoonbash wrote:Hi Guys

All the mechanical work and fabbing is done,(rad wasn't too bad)now it's onto wiring the beast and have run into a small problem on the 74 Vega.

The previous owner was a wire cutting artist :? I have had to unravel the harness that goes to the starter and in it I've found a yellow 10 gauge? wire that is cut at the approximate height of the distributor.It originates down at the fuse-box firewall connector.

This wire has no power with the key on or off.Anyone know what it's for or where it goes?

I have tried to read this wiring schematic but can't figure it out.

http://www.v8monza.com/voodoo_perf/vega ... neComp.jpg

Thanks

I dont believe there was a yellow ten gauge factory wire. Previous setup may have used a non-hei distributor with external coil. Those ignition systems used a nichrome resistor wire from the fuse block to drop the voltage down to ~ 9vdc. During cranking, (s position) the starter solenoid would output 12v on the r terminal to feed the ignition with full 12v during cranking for easier starting. This may be what that wire was used for.
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby peterpan » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:35 am

i have the wiring harness out of my 72 vega and a 76 coupe and the only yellow wire in both of them goes to the window washer
and the best i can figure out by the diagrams thats right
peterpan

1972 Chevrolet Vega

Postby zeke » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:01 am

yep, wiper circuit had a 14ga yellow if my brain recalls correctly
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby Hoonbash » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:02 am

This wire may be 12 gauge.It does a colour change a few times to orange,weird,must be from the heat and ageing,and I'm still talking about the wire here :)

It was still wrapped in the factory tape that's in the starter wiring harness so I don't think it was added, I've also found the factory resistor wire so it's not that.

There is a yellow wire in the schematic going to what I think is the coil, positive side,just not sure if that's the coil in the drawing.

I'm attempting to wire in a Mallory VIa ignition box and need to find the factory original coil + wire from the ignition key.If I can't find this I'm going to have to find a switched 12 volt source,just thought the original wire would be the best and easiest to use.

Thanks for the reply's guys 8) 8) as wiring problems over the internet are not that interesting or easy

Hoonbash
87 GTA
70 Skylark
75 Vega GT
79 Sunbird
76 Sunbird
72 CoupDevile
Hoonbash

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Return to Electrical and Wiring