Masterseries Paints(gas tank coating inside/out)

Post reviews of H-body products here. UNBIASED REVIEWS ONLY. NO ADS.

Masterseries Paints(gas tank coating inside/out)

Postby 78spyder » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:01 pm

Just got done coating the inside and out of my gas tank, I had just added a sump and was worried about internal rust. After much internet research, and seeing bad reviews of POR15's gas tank coating as well as Eastwoods I saw this obscure product got many high marks called Masterseries paint. I had tried to use POR's once before and it blistered up and I had to use aircraft stripper to remove it, what fun. This stuff went on silky smooth and no porosity or bubbles. Very pleased with the results. They have other coatings also I'm sure I will try in the future. Got a rusted tank? Try this stuff, it works.
http://www.masterseriesct.com/
78spyder

Re: Masterseries Paints(gas tank coating inside/out)

Postby 80 MONZTA » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:11 pm

So it seems the only way to get this product is directly from the manufacturer?
How much did you use to coat the inside of the tank?
I dont have rust to deal with mine, just want to seal around the modifications that I am doing for a fuel injected pump to fit in, and will probably do the top half just to prevent rust while in storage during winter months. So I was wondering if just using it in certain areas would work, or would that make it likely to peel up at the edges??
I was going to use Northern brand as I can get it localy.
How did you research this, I only come up with manufaturers claiming their stuff as the best out there. :bang:
LeRoy
1980 Monza, 305/Th350 removed for LS1/T-56 swap, can't wait to :burn: My Project
80 MONZTA

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 78spyder » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:15 pm

One can does the inside and out, just pour it in and roll it around 5 minutes or so, then pour out excess, repeat in 4 hours. My research came when I was concerned about my new sump rusting inside. Mild steel has a way of rusting if you look at it cross eyed. So I googled sump welding, sump sealing and gas tank sealing. Found a lot of testimonials, from the Mustang and Sunbeam tiger people, ect. Heard lots of people name that product out, so I tried it. Went on as advertised, no bubbling or anything funny and it wont scrape or peal where I try inside the filler neck. I did prep the tank with POR15's Marine Clean detergent and then used the Metal Ready, also from POR15 to etch the inside of the tank. Very happy with results. I see many people say years later tank looks same, and being it wasnt a manufacture site I have no raeson to doubt. From the time of order took about 5 days to get to me btw. I'll see about getting some pics.
78spyder

Postby 80 MONZTA » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:31 pm

So just to be clear, it is the Silver Rust Sealer/Primer Surfacer, and you only used one quart for the inside and out of an 18 gallon H-body tank? All the other tank liners I have seen, recomend one quart for a 12 gallon tank.
LeRoy
1980 Monza, 305/Th350 removed for LS1/T-56 swap, can't wait to :burn: My Project
80 MONZTA

1980 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 78spyder » Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:17 pm

One Qt is all you need, if you can do the whole tank in one day. My problem was it started to rain totaly unexpectedly and the humidity spiked fast. This paint is moisture hardened, so the next day when I went to do the outside my paint had gelled. No fault of the manufacture, they warned against using when rain was expected, and it wasn't on forecast, but just my luck there it was. It is the silver, and it looks awesome! Very hard and chip resistant, like porcelin. Make sure you have an old turkey baster or one from dollar store, or a baby aspirator to suck up that last puddle in the bottom of the tank. Another plus to this is I washed my tank over and over. Each time I dried it I'd have little chips of metal in the the bottom of the tank, probably coming from the pinch seams. No matter how many times I scrubbed they kept coming. Once the sealer was in place no more. Must of sealed them where they sat.
78spyder

Return to Product Reviews