Low-cost stock Exhaust Manifolds for Monza (Vega too ?)

Post reviews of H-body products here. UNBIASED REVIEWS ONLY. NO ADS.

Low-cost stock Exhaust Manifolds for Monza (Vega too ?)

Postby joels_vega » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:41 am

(~) PRODUCT REVIEW & AND EXHAUST MANIFOLD QUESTION

Was comparing stock exhaust manifolds for a '72 Vega that will be getting a 350 engine. I like the stock Monza [H-body like Vega]
exhaust manifolds ........ smooth design ........ sort of "header-ish."

1. Napa wanted $119.00 online for one ('77 Monza, 5.o liter) driver side exhaust manifold -- with studs and nuts and washers.
2. Partsgeek.com [website below] wanted only $60.00 for the Exact Same manifold (photos on both websites are of the S-a-m-e Dorman exhaust manifold) for all parts plus (+) exhaust gasket.

Question: Do you guys think these stock '77 Monza exhaust manifolds will fit in a '72 Vega with a 350 ?
Any clearance problems on right or left?

Thank you.

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1977/c ... ifold.html
Future car will look like this guy's cool Pro-Street Vega.
(Free) Photo customizing at phixr.com
"...act like men, be strong." (1Corinthians 16:13)
joels_vega

Re: Low-cost stock Exhaust Manifolds for Monza (Vega too ?)

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:48 am

If using stock style V8 engine mounts V8 Monza manifolds should fit fine.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby SunbirdMan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:56 am

the one's pictured on that partsgeek link will not fit a Monza or vega.
Roger---------------------------------------------------------------
UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
DIMENSIONS ARE IN INCHES
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

Postby cosvega76 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:45 am

I even looked it up on the Dorman website. That is NOT for a Monza. It won't clear the steering box, especially with power steering.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:53 pm

There is a ton of stuff that initially looks like it fits our cars on Ebay but once you dig deeper in the compatibility chart you find out it doesn't. If you actually find V8 Monza manifolds they should fit, just make sure that is what you are getting. Too often people list things for a SBC and just assume it will fit everything that a smallblock was installed in. Generally speaking that is not the case, especially with H bodies.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby gm_fan » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:11 pm

I have 2 sets of monza manifolds,,one set is almost nos and the other set is good used..I dont need either set so?? gm_fan
gm_fan

Postby joels_vega » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:02 am

cjbiagi wrote:There is a ton of stuff that initially looks like it fits our cars on Ebay but once you dig deeper in the compatibility chart you find out it doesn't. If you actually find V8 Monza manifolds they should fit, just make sure that is what you are getting. Too often people list things for a SBC and just assume it will fit everything that a smallblock was installed in. Generally speaking that is not the case, especially with H bodies.

Thanks for the advice. 8)

So any V8 Monza exhaust manifold's should fit [save my receipts...] when using stock Monza engine mounts too.

2 More questions:
1) What year Monza exhaust manifolds would offer the best flow design for exiting exhaust gases?
2) Do they make *aluminum exhaust manifolds ( save about 15-20 pounds of weight)?

later, Joel
joels_vega

Postby joels_vega » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:05 am

gm_fan wrote:I have 2 sets of monza manifolds,,one set is almost nos and the other set is good used..I dont need either set so?? gm_fan

I should be picking up the Vega in about a month. Can you let me know the year & attach some photos of those bad boys?
Thanks, Joel
joels_vega

Postby SpyderByte » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:35 pm

I just have gone through the exhaust options for my '80 Spyder 350. I do not like exhaust headers because they put too much heat in the engine compartment. Dorman makes a very long list of factory style cast iron manifolds for many differnet applications and after sorting through the list I have found two different styles of manifolds that will work for 2+2 Monzas AND will clear the steering shaft. Vegas, I'm not so sure about. My 350 is out of a '90 truck so it has the passenger side dipstick which limited my options on the passenger side manifolds, but most should work. I chose Dorman # 674-202 for the passenger side, this is basically the stock type manifold that was originally installed on the small block V8's and it also let me use the passenger side dipstick. This unit has the 3 bolt flange just like the original. The only difference is that you can find these manifolds on Ebay for $40, with shipping instead of paying twice that or more for a used original. They do all have the AIR holes unfortunately, but 1/4" plugs solve that. You can also use the 67-72 Chevy truck style which drops down in the middle instead of at the aft portion of the engine, these will also fit, both sides. Driver's side # is 674-201 and also costs $40, with shipping, brand new. Can't beat that. This unit is VERY close to the steering shaft, but it will work, and it points out underneat the oil filter. Again, 3 bolt flange with AIR holes. I used this manifold because of the 3 bolt flange to match the passenger side and because of the price, since your only other option is an IROC driver's side manifold 87-92 Camaro, which has the AIR holes and has an oxygen senser bung and 2 bolt flange. This is part number 674-518 and costs $66 brand new with shipping. I almost went with this manifold but I wanted the exhaust flanges to match on both sides. The IROC is as close to a driver's side factory correct Monza manifold that you're going to get from new production. They are all made in Chino California unfortunately, but that's why I have a grinder, to grind off the CHINA on anything I have. Hope this helps, it took me about a week to find the right manifolds. Again, these manifolds will work for the Monza type applications, not so sure about whether these will fit a Vega, I don't know what the differences in the engine bay are as far as that goes.
SpyderByte

1980 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby SpyderByte » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:02 am

Ok, I have these manifolds installed now, but I did run into a couple of clearance issues. Both manifolds required that 1/4 inch of material from the head mounting surface be removed for clearance. Drivers side was hitting on the steering shaft and passenger side was hitting on the frame. I also removed material in these areas as well as the 1/4 surfacing. There is now 1/2 clearance on both exhaust manifolds, more than might seem necessary but you have to remember that the engine will flex when in operation. I'll post some pictures of what it looks like installed.
SpyderByte

Postby SpyderByte » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:22 pm

Here is a picture of the ramhorn manifold after being surface ground for clearance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SpyderByte

Return to Product Reviews