79 Formula Sunbird - Shaker

H-Body items only please.

Moderator: Moderators

79 Formula Sunbird - Shaker

Postby clintjohns » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:50 pm

Looking at selling the car. Going to try to sell it, my trailer and my truck and get one car I can daily drive/power tour with. You guys know the car so let me know if anyone is interested.

1979 Sunbird
350 SBC
4 Speed manual
New Interior
78 style shaker hood conversion

Just got back from the 2011 Power Tour with over 1300 miles logged with zero issues.

Car gets major attention where ever it goes. Either people don't know what it is and ask, or they think they know what it is and haven't seen one in a long time

Car runs 70 mph at 2700.

Car has been repainted over the winter so it is fresh and ready to go.

$5700 OBO

Read more: http://forums.hotrod.com/70/8779710/swa ... z1P6XjWjdc
Last edited by clintjohns on Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
From Hotrods to Bicycles
The brave may not live forever, but the cautious will never live at all
clintjohns

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Re: 79 Formula Sunbird - Shaker

Postby clintjohns » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:06 am

If anybody on here wants it for 6000 I will let it go, Can meet/deliver if its not too far
From Hotrods to Bicycles
clintjohns

Postby HotfootGT » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:56 am

Looks nice. Pontiac should have done the shaker originally. Good luck with the sale.
:bump:
Howdy from Hotlanta
73 Kammback "Little Buddy"
62 Skylark 215 CI Aluminum V8
71 Dodge D-100 Sweptline
HotfootGT

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback

Re: 79 Formula Sunbird - Shaker - 5700 FOR OUR MEMBERS

Postby clintjohns » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:39 pm

I HAVE HAD LOTS OF OFFERS LOWER THAN WHAT I WANT, BUT IF SOMEONE ON THIS FORUM WANTS THE CAR, I'D TAKE 5700 AND LET IT GO.
From Hotrods to Bicycles
clintjohns

Postby my79monza » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:37 pm

This makes me wonder why I'm messing with an H-body, they can be bought unrestored fairly reasonable.
Restore it and you can't get rid of it.
I feel your pain as someday it will happen to me.
Wait, I'll just let my estate suffer through it.
Merle
my79monza

Postby clintjohns » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:35 pm

:bump:

ANYBODY WANT A BABY TA - Somebody called it that the other week - I just laughed :th:
From Hotrods to Bicycles
clintjohns

Postby clintjohns » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:52 pm

$5500? Hey I have it insured for that much, so before I go taking less than then I'll just wrap this thing around a tree and call it done
From Hotrods to Bicycles
clintjohns

Postby clintjohns » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:19 pm

Hey guys its been a while since I sold the Sunbird. I sold it to a fellow in North East TN who kept if for a couple of years and he sold it to a guy in Ohio. He contacted me about the car but that's been a couple of years back. Has anybody seen my old car. I'd like to get in touch with the guy that has it and let him know I'd like first shot at it if he ever decides to sell it.

Clint
clintjohns6412 at hotmail.com
From Hotrods to Bicycles
clintjohns

Postby crawfw » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:44 pm

Hey Clint,

Saw your post and Im the guy in Ohio who bought it on Valentines day in 2013. Almost a year now. Yes I got in trouble for driving to Tenn to buy the car on valentines day. Anyhow you can contact me at wtc26@msn.com or through this forum. Havent thought too much about selling it but I do have a jealous bass boat that is spending its first winter outside. I certainly need a bigger garage for my hobbies/toys. I really hate the thought of being h bodyless again as I do love these cars. I was really looking for a 2+2 when I decided to drive down and look at the mini TA. Its an awesome looking car and have had hundreds of looks and thumbs up driving it. Ive done a little work to it as most people do to get it the way they want. But overall is still the same car. I believe the trans was swapped by the guy you sold it to and is pretty low geared in first and second. (3.50:1 first gear) I bought a rebuilt trans with the 3.11 first gear but it had a bad bearing noise so I put the other one back in. I had a spring come off the clutch disc and had to replace it so I tried the trans swap at the same time but like I said had to put back in the lower geared one. Also some of the epoxy used for the shaker fabrication started to let loose so I had to cover the carb obviously. I am using a 14" air cleaner with the element on the lid and the normal round element. removed the base of the shaker setup and the shaker sits right on the air cleaner. I padded the air cleaner where it sits and it works great. Gets a lot more airflow also. I also placed the rubber isolators on top of the rear springs. It was kinda noisy without them. Put on traction bars. upper and lower ball joints. replaced the drop spindles with stock s10 spindles and cut the springs to get the same height. It was bottoming out periodically is why I did this. I also have a new set of front springs in case my cutting estimate was not good but it seems about right. Like to get it up about 1/2" to 3/4" but its nearly the same as it was but stiffer. new clutch disc,TO bearing and pilot bearing. mini high torque starter was put in since I had the headers off for the tranny swap. Also replaced the cracked/welded bell housing that was on it. Removed and oiled the clutch cable too. I think thats about it. The only mishap i had was jacking up the car with the hood open. Put a dent in the front lip. Im hoping it will straighten out without the paint chipping. Havent messed with it yet but I sure hope it straightens with no issue. Future plans are a close ratio muncie or sag and change the rear gear to 3.42. Already have the gear set that will go on the 2 series carrier. Maybe some better flowing heads. I also put in the rubber grommits that go under the floor mounted shifter. It didnt have them and C Biagi on this forum had them new. I didnt know they existed. This is a great sight for these cars for sure and makes it much easier to do the work.
crawfw

Postby clintjohns » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:52 pm

Hey - Still got the Sunbird. Was thinking about it the other day and curious what ever happened to it?
From Hotrods to Bicycles
clintjohns

Postby 75Monzta » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:09 pm

L O V E this car!!!
Eric Ruybalid
SR Performance
75Monzta

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby clintjohns » Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:03 pm

Anyone know the location of this car? Florence KY is the last I can find via a quick search. I'd love to see where it's at now and who ended up with it and what state its in now?
From Hotrods to Bicycles
clintjohns

Postby Diesel Dan » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:01 pm

Hope you find the car.
Crossed paths with it when I lived in Ohio and regret not buying it then!
1980 Monza Town Coupe
5.0L/auto
Diesel Dan

Return to For Sale