4l60e vs. 200r4

Moderator: Moderators

4l60e vs. 200r4

Postby spyderhunter » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:13 pm

Been reading some threads recently about the modified 200r4 being a good fit for the Monza. But I am considering a GTO 5.7 that comes with the 4l60e. Are there any problems with that fitting in without persuading the tunnel to stretch a little? I don't want to spend the money for a trans if it would be better spent on a better one separately. After 6 years of my Mirage sitting in the garage waiting to be put back together, I am determined to put some power under the hood before winter. I would like some convincing opinions before I find something else to spend my car stash on...
spyderhunter

Re: 4l60e vs. 200r4

Postby cosvega76 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:13 am

Other than having to move the crossmember back to accommodate the rear mount (and lengthen the driveshaft since the TH350 I had was a long-tail), the 200-4R I have fit right in with no floor pan mods. I've heard there may be some clearance issues with the 4L60E/700R4. Those folks will have to weigh in with their experiences.

Plus I like the first gear ratio better in the 200-4R, it's closer to the one in the TH350. First gear in the 700R4 is 3.06, so if you have short gears in the back you don't spend much time in first.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:26 pm

SpyderHunter, there are a few issues to deal with here. First the tunnel will need some attention for a 700R4, while the 4L60(E) is a direct blood cousin [or maybe sister] to the 700R4 I have only read about the 700R4 [so I can't add any definite absolutes]. All variations of the 700R4 are longer so they will almost certainly need drive shaft work [you might win on that one as yours has already been shortened and therefore you've already dealt with the torque arm length/mount issues. The 700R4 has a 3.06:1 first and a 0.76:1OD so your rear gears won't need to be as low as the 2004R with it's 2.74>2.86:1 first (the sites I have read seem to have a discrepancy on this number) and a much higher 0.64:1OD so this would mean the rear will need Zoomies to run at a decent enough RPM for the highway. with all of that said to make the 2004R live with any power you will need to spend MONEY There is also the fact that the 2004R is not a direct bolt up to your LS of (any)choice there is a difference in crankshaft stick out Sorry I can't add more on that. The 700R4 is much more robust than even a decent built up 2004R especially by the time they went to theL6XX nomenclature, the one that is matted is already suited to that engine even with some decant upgrades. So in short for me the right tranny is going to be the 2004R, but for your engine and what your car sounds like to me is the tranny with that motor. there are down sides to both if I had decided on the LS6 [that I still want] I would have gone with the 4L6XX tranny. A little long winded I know but I hope I added some clearer insight into the matter. Harry Oh 4L6XX means: 4L60/65/70(E) And for your reading pleasure, the links on the left that may apply [or all of it]: http://h-body.org/library/hbodyfaq/index.html and cross member movement will have to happen with any appropriate OD tranny. I also forgot to mention the speedo 2004R will likely need an adapter/right angle drive for the stock head unit, the 4L60(+) will likely need an expensive remedy like an electronic/or GPS speedo conversion or a CableX: http://www.abbott-tach.com/cablex.htm
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby spyderhunter » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:26 pm

Thank you both for the replies. That ol' 350 with the toilet on the top is looking better all the time, keep the Saginaw 4 spd. ....... Why do all dreams end with reality when we wake up? By the time you do a swap, you could buy another running Monza! Was going to go with the 325 hp LFX v6 with 6 spd auto, but from what I read, the computer wiring and technical side of it was a nightmare! And costly! If I'm going to spend the money, I might as well hear the thunder of two more cylinders firing!!
spyderhunter

Postby danfigg » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:59 am

The 4L60E Transmission is a newer and more updated version from the Turbo-Hydramatic 700R4 transmission from 1982.
Common “weak spots” in 4L60E Transmission problems Below is a list of the weak points in a 4L60E transmission. These need an upgrade when putting more than ~300 horsepower through a 4L60E:
•Input drum
•Overrun clutch hub
•Output shaft
•Input sprag (for extended high speed/load use in 4th)
•Sun gear shell
And here it is, the short list of common problems with the 4L60E Transmission and repair:

1) Slow, slipping or no reverse
2) Shifting is delayed
3) Loud bang or grinding noises
4) Loss of all gears
This is the trans in a heavy 04 GTO im sure it would survive in our lighter Monza. You could go with a 4l65e or the 4L75e---danfigg
danfigg

1977 Chevrolet Monza Mirage

Postby spyderhunter » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:56 pm

The car is set up for standard shift, although I don't really care if that's what goes back in or not. It's not out of the question, but I'd be happy putting her in Drive and doing just that... Whatever is more practical and easier at this stage of the game. But I'd rather have the extra gear(s) for fuel mileage if I'm going to do it. I'd rather not cut up the tunnel at this point, since it's already been sandblasted and painted with basecoat clear coat. I know it all costs MONEY, and if I'm going to spend it, I hope to only do it once and do it right. I don't have the extra money to waste. I hate getting really good at removing and installing because of do-overs!! My brother wants me to stick with old school and put the 350 back in, but I love the dependability of the newer ls engines, so I'm still holding out for the moment. He has an '80 Camaro with a 454 pushing 780 hp and is rightly proud that it's all old school. But he has more money in the engine than I will have in the whole car when it's done. (hopefully!)
spyderhunter

Postby Old Rob » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:17 am

On 76-80 cars, the 700R4/4L60 requires rework of the right side transmission cross member frame bracket. ACE has a cross member proto typed for this application. Bolts in. The 2004R will need a special cross member to mount up, however should require no cutting.
Old Rob

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech