Rear diff.

Moderator: Moderators

Rear diff.

Postby Buscop » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:50 pm

I still have the stock rear diff in my wagon. So what can I put in there now? I'm looking for a posi around 3:08 or so. Any help here. :lol:
Russell G Hilder
1949 Model Wife
1979 Monza Wagon
2007 Harley FLHTCU
2009 Dodge Dakota Laramie
Buscop

1979 Chevrolet Monza Wagon

Postby barebonesracecars » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:30 am

I bought most of my stuff on eBay (Torsen posi and GM gears).

If you want to stay with your stock rear end:

You can search for a factory 7.5 H-body posi and gears, which will be difficult to find and likely worn out.

Or, go aftermarket, either used or new. Any 7.5" or 7.625" unit will work. If you want 3:08 gears, the carrier (posi unit) you want will be referred to as a "2-series" carrier....I believe those take up to a 3:08 gear (if you want "more" gear, say 3:42, 3:55, etc., you will need a '3-series' carrier). Torsen/Gleason, Auburn, and Eaton all manufactured the units, several for the Big Three. They were used in S-10's, G-bodies, and several others I'm sure.

I have heard that you want to stay away from the Eaton unit that is called the 'Gov-Loc', as they tend to destroy themselves after a while. SLP sells Torsen 'take-offs' that they are replacing in F-bodies with the Torsen T2-R, a heavier-duty unit. Last time I looked, they were selling for right at $100.

Gears can be any 7.5 or 7.625, but the pinion gear will need to be machined. Not a hard job for a good machinist. OR, you can use a conversion bearing, that will let you install the gears with an otherwise stock S-10, G-body, or F-body install kit.

You will also need the yoke from one of those cars, and then buy a different U-joint to fit, which is commonly available at NAPA or other parts stores.

This should help give you an idea of what you need. All of the above I picked up from guys on here, so I'm happy to pass it on.
Reid

*1979 Buick Skyhawk SCCA/street/show*
(with Buick 350 power on deck)
barebonesracecars

1979 Buick Skyhawk

Re: Rear diff.

Postby cacmanjr » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:58 pm

Buscop wrote:I still have the stock rear diff in my wagon. So what can I put in there now? I'm looking for a posi around 3:08 or so. Any help here. :lol:

Russell I have a 3.08 posi and few other parts to make a 7.5 strong. Some are new and some are used. Contact me at [/url]cacmanjr@aol.com[url] if you are interested.
Carl Creque
cacmanjr

1977 Buick Skyhawk

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech