700r4 to replace th350

Moderator: Moderators

accesory kits for the 700 R 4

Postby MIKESMONZA » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:46 pm

:arrow: The kit monzaxxx is talking about is used in a lot of transmission upgrade's to insure the lock up and timely disconect :arrow: occure ,,,,,.Some even have a switch ( toggle with light ) that locks up the convertor, or in the off position, for towing a trailor, :shock: LOL,It is used primarlary for pick up truck's :arrow: but some of us have a small trailor that might have to be towed, and is possible, also to have a hitch on the h-body, but rairly seen, some fabrication and assembly requiered ,I beleave there or more kits's out there for lot's of application's that I have not seen yet, but I like you am curious about all the possiablity's of diferent brand's and functions other than lock up. :arrow: There are transmission temperature gages,sender's :arrow: Oil pressure in cooler line gauge and sender ,and external add on or stand alone oil cooler's that drop the coolling temp down, :arrow: Transmission's worst enemy,Mike more later
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Re: accesory kits for the 700 R 4

Postby SunbirdMan » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:56 pm

MIKESMONZA wrote::....I beleave there or more kits's out there for lot's of application's that I have not seen yet, but I like you am curious about all the possiablity's of diferent brand's and functions other than lock up. ......

The 700r4 I have is out of a 1984 van I used to own. The friend I bought it from told me it has all hydraulic lock-up. No wiring at all. That didn't make any sense to me so I started checking around and found this:

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merch ... t_Count=18

"Superior # K017 .. The High Performance Superior Hydraulic Lock-up package allows you to engage the lock-up feature of your converter automatically-without the computer or switches. Comes with 5 custom calibrated springs to vary the lock-up point. Will replace the early lock-up valve and sleeve or replace the later no valve alluminum plug. As long as there is a bore in the valve body, this kit will work."

and

http://racetransmissions.com/store/prod ... cts_id/305

"The 700R4 Hydraulic Lock-up Package allows you to engage lock-up automatically without a computer! No toggle-switch or vacuum switch necessary. Package contains hydraulic valves and five custom calibrated springs so you can vary the lock-up speeds.

Kit contains the following:
- Steel lock-up valve
- Aluminum lock-up valve sleeve
- Steel lock-up boost-valve
- 5 custom calibrated springs
- Detailed installation instructions"

I guess my trans has something like this in it. I don't know if its good for high performance like this but it worked in my G30 van with a 8600 gvw. I found one transmission builder who sells a 550 hp trans that uses something like this. here:

http://www.lnjstreetrods.com/products/7 ... age_3.html

"Our 700R4s have hydraulic lock-up and do not require electronics."
SunbirdMan

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Sport Coupe

700 R 4 kits

Postby MIKESMONZA » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:01 pm

Sunbirdman; that is a good bunch, I looked and saw the extreme kits,,,,,,Not ever body needs some of these,,, but with a car that see's track time's improve, with changes,,motor, suspension, tires width+ height and modification's , I am all for it as long as the transmission last's. :arrow: But everything can be under or over done, Mike Thanks
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Painless wirring 700 R 4 transmission torqueconvertorlockup

Postby MIKESMONZA » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:53 am

Also for those interested in a lock up kit made by Painless Wiring they have them available, and have a interesting picture, :arrow: I saw this in the Classic Industries book on GMC/Chevy trucks covering a lot of older Chevy restorations, with or with out computer,Mike
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Upgrades Internaly and Externaly

Postby MIKESMONZA » Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:08 am

Some Notes :arrow: On the 700 R 4 /4L60 E the factory made a "Vette Servo" for the Corvette,,It contols the shift firmness differently...... :hump: #2 Also a Corvette Torque Converter with a stall speed of 2,025 rpm depending on the cam you have,,,,, IE if the corvette stock cam fine,, :arrow: If using a radical street cam :arrow: you might have to change to a higher stall with an aftermarket Torque Converter with a 2,500 stall or problems will happen :arrow: #A symptom :arrow: IE when you pull up to a stop light it will cause the car to creep with brakes applied and stall the motor while in gear idleling ,,,,and ....#b symptom with a carburetor with vacuum secondary's they will be reluctant to work while accelerating thru the gears.,,,,Mike
MIKESMONZA

1975 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Previous

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech