Oil pan clearance question

Moderator: Moderators

Postby cerealkiller » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:03 pm

I have a 72 Vega GT and am in the middle of assembling it right now.I have a Moroso oilpan in my car and it clears everything by a mile.Did you do any trans tunnel modifications(beat the shit out of the trans tunnel with a huge hammer)?I raised my tunnel and widened it all around,especialy under the drivers side area where the gas pedal is.I now have a Lakewood 4 spd bellhousing in the car and it also clears everything by a mile,however Im having no luck putting a 4 spd in the car.I used the Hooker block mts and custom made my own rubber mounts.The "custom"mounts are no more than the type of body mounts you find to lift the body on a 4x4.Go to your local boat sales store and buy some "boat trailer rollers".They are round polyethelene objects that I cut to whatever height you need to clear the oil pan to crossmember.The boat rollers work very well and look good.I have at least 1/2 inch clearance between my pan and crossmember.I wish I had more luck with the 4 spd problem.I think the secret to making your installation as nice as mine is in the tunnel enlargement.I did not beat the shit out of my floor,I cut it and re-modeled/reshaped it and welded everything back together and it looks like its factory stock.The only way to raise your motor enough to get clearance from the crossmember is to re-do the floor clearance like I did.Think about my tips and try again.Let us know what happens.
cerealkiller

Previous

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech