80 3.8 pressure plate...HELP?

Moderator: Moderators

80 3.8 pressure plate...HELP?

Postby Justa 6 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:47 am

My 80 Sunbird has the step up flywheel and I have always used a 10in disc. After smokin the clutch (again) I can't seem to find a correct replacement. Every PARTS store is only showing the older (flat flywheel) 9in disc. Have even checked the major clutch manufacturers. NADA
"LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY SCREAMING, WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!!"
Justa 6

1980 Pontiac Sunbird Hatchback

Re: 80 3.8 pressure plate...HELP?

Postby Monzamaddogger » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:22 pm

I have an old (never used) Centerforce pressure plate and street disc for the 10" stepped flywheel if you're interested. I couldn't find a stepped flywheel after I bought it, so I ended up buying a flat flywheel. Some say the Centerforce weights won't fit in a h-body bellhousing. I don't know. You could remove the weights easy enough...
-Adam

'75 Skyhawk (project)
'80 Monza Spyder (driver)
'76 Sunbird (14,000 original miles)
Monzamaddogger

Postby Justa 6 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:18 pm

I was given the # to a transmission parts supply in Detroit. They ordered one for me and knew exactly what I was talkin about. Should be here Monday. Bad part is, it's about 2 1/2 hrs of driving. I do have a flat flywheel, but really don't want to go back down to a 9in disk. I do pull the trailer N in the grueling Woodward Dream cruise. The car usually runs for 8- 10hrs straight, in stop N go traffic for 2 days in a row. Then Sat nite....ITS burnout time!
Do you have a part # number off the Centerforce PP??? I could give em a call and see if it would work. Thinkin I might need to stock up on a couple spares, or find another part # that will work for me.

Thankz
"LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY SCREAMING, WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!!"
Justa 6

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:08 pm

It is also my understanding that a Centerforce pressure plate will not work with a H body clutch fork. I knew a couple guys who tried and Centerforce told them to remove the weights. Seems counter productive to do that..........
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Monzamaddogger » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:43 pm

Centerforce pressure plate for Skyhawk 10.4" stepped flywheel (can't remember exact year, but ordered for later even fire) new in box. Part number CF361884. Centerforce street disc, new in box, part number 383271 (still current). I'd sell the pressure plate for $100. and the disc for $50. or I might trade for other interesting h-body parts. I also have a used flat flywheel and clutch set that came off an even fire 231 I'd be interested in unloading...
-Adam

'75 Skyhawk (project)
'80 Monza Spyder (driver)
'76 Sunbird (14,000 original miles)
Monzamaddogger

Postby Justa 6 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:51 pm

Monzamaddogger wrote:Centerforce pressure plate for Skyhawk 10.4" stepped flywheel (can't remember exact year, but ordered for later even fire) new in box. Part number CF361884. Centerforce street disc, new in box, part number 383271 (still current). I'd sell the pressure plate for $100. and the disc for $50. or I might trade for other interesting h-body parts. I also have a used flat flywheel and clutch set that came off an even fire 231 I'd be interested in unloading...

I have a flat flywheel that came off a 78 even fire, problem is that it's the 9in clutch. Basicly the tiny 4cyl clutch. It won't hold up. I have exhausted all avenues, contacted all major clutch manufactures. Seems I can't even have mine rebuilt (I have 2 spares) I've heard there is a 60's Olds V8 flywheel clutch setup used on Buicks V6 as a lightweight system. But I'm thinkin this was for the odd fire. Anyone else heard of this?
Justa 6

Postby Justa 6 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:12 pm

UPDATE.... I have searched and spoken to hundreds of clutch/parts manufactures. Last night I came across a company in CAL that puts the 231 in JEEPS and make their own flat flywheel (clutch parts can be purchased anywhere) These guys are Advanced Adaptors. I JUSTA ordered mine. Make a note 231 step up flywheel owners!!!!! This is all you'll find to solve the NO parts problem. Thankz to all that helped with info and help.
http://www.advanceadapters.com/
Justa 6

Postby Justa 6 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:27 pm

Got the new flywheel today. Here's a pic with all info to order. Keep this in mind.
Justa 6

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech