Hurst Competition Plus Pictures

Moderator: Moderators

Hurst Competition Plus Pictures

Postby Howler73 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:15 pm

Does any one have good pictures of the mounting bracket and Competition Plus shifter for a Monza from the top? I bought what I thought was a complete shifter and mounting kit from a guy who said it was from a saginaw in a Monza. If that had been true the price I paid was a good one, since it turns out it probably isn't I paid waaaaay too much. I even sent it out to Manchester Muncies and had him refurbish it for me. By the way I highly recommended Bruce's services as it looks and functions like brand new. The price was less than half of what Hurst would have charged and he got it back to me in a little over a week. Anyway after getting it back and then looking at the picture of Clyde's trans with the shifter on it sitting on his bench the mounting bracket doesn't look the same and the shifter itself looks like it has an offset shift lever mounting bracket. I found (somewhere I forget) what I think is a picture of the instructions and what I got doesn't look the same either. Sooooo, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ken
1975 Blue Chevy Monza, 350ci, 4 speed
Howler73

Re: Hurst Competition Plus Pictures

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:42 pm

Here's one pic I have, however there is one more bracket that attaches to the top bolt of the tailshaft that is not attached in this pic. It's basically just a flat bar stock that attaches for additional support from the top bolt (partially unscrewed in the pic) to the shifter body. On the second pic that shows the stick attached be aware that this is not the original stick that came with the shifter. The original one was longer and offset toward the driver. I substituted a short straight stick.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Howler73 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:56 pm

Thanks Clyde, your pictures reaffirm that I got the wrong shifter and kit. The mounting bracket I have goes all the way back and partially wraps aroung the tail shat housing and has a U-bolt for the rest of the way. The shift lever mounting point is half the length and is straight. I'll get a picture of it tonight at home.

Ken
Howler73

Postby Howler73 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:54 pm

Here's a picture of the shifter and the mounting bracket.

Ken

HURST 3.jpg

P1010035a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Howler73

Postby Howler73 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:45 am

I was looking through the Ebay listings of all the little parts people have for our Monza's and came across a listing for a Hurst Competition Plus shifter for 73-77 Camaro's w/console and 75 Monzas. The Hurst part number is 391-7438. It looks identical to the one on Clyde's Saginaw pictured above. The shifter is available new from Hurst so we might have a winner here for those of use wanting to change out shifters. Now the installation kit could be tricky. I searched through the Hurst catalog and found out first that the bracket and stuff I got with the used shifter I bought (shown above) came from a 69-73 Chevelle or Malibu so that won't work. I kept looking and found the 373-8618 installation kit in which the bracket looks identical to the one pictured on Clyde's saginaw. It's also for the 73-77 Camaro w/console and saginaw so I'm thinking the rods and such will work. Any one see any holes in this idea?

Ken
Howler73

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech