Towing Needs...

Moderator: Moderators

Towing Needs...

Postby Maallik » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:05 pm

Hello All,

So, I'm having my wife's 1979 Monza moved from CA to WA.
Are there any special needs when towing the vehicle?
My wife Loves that car, and it would break my heart to hurt it trying to relocate it.
It's currently non-op, and can't simply be driven there.

Please let me know?
Thanks!
Maallik
:twisted:
Maallik

Re: Towing Needs...

Postby ROB » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:15 pm

If you use a car trailer that holds the whole car, no biggie. If you use a car dolly, where it only pulls the front wheels off the ground, then you must remove the driveshaft if it's an automatic. I believe if it's a stick you don't need to do that, just leave it in neutral. Just don't leave an automatic in neutral, it will damage it.
1976 Cosworth Vega, #2825
I'm not a purist, this is gonna have a V8.
ROB

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Re: Towing Needs...

Postby Monza Harry » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:25 pm

Maallik The driveshaft should come out on most stick cars of that era as well, as the tail shaft doesn't turn the counter shaft in the tranny which is the part responsible for lube, it is spun by the input shaft. That is a long distance or I would suggest just let the engine run as that would keep it well lubed, unfortunately that is only realistic for maybe an hour which the manual will tell you is Ok (50mi if memory serves me)with out the engine running. Removing the d'shaft when pulling it on a dolly or flat towing will take slightly less gas as well, I did say slightly. Hope this was Helpful Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech