Pin removal from Posi rear

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Pin removal from Posi rear

Postby avewhtboy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:45 pm

Sometimes a little heat will help, if it breaks off, a lot of heat, aka, weld bolt and try again
avewhtboy

Postby Bill K » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:59 pm

Was the bolt with the integral pin approximately 2" long? If all you removed resembled only a bolt, the retaining bolt/pin is broken inside
of the posi carrier. Carefully inspect the threaded end of the bolt. If it is jagged it is possible that one or more threads are still holding
the retaining pin in the carrier. Can you post a picture of the retaining bolt/pin that you removed? Again, if this retainer is about 2" long the pin in the carrier
supporting the spider gears can be driven out with a hammer and a punch. If the retaining pin is still in the carrier it can sometimes be rotated out
using the end of a very sharp scribe. The scribe will catch the broken end of the pin allowing some very patient turning and hopefully the retaining pin
will be out. Good luck, be patient, and most important ,do not get angry. I hope this helps.
Bill
measure twice cut once
Bill K

Postby Brian » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:02 pm

The retaining pin came out complete so no worries about it being broken.

I'll see about getting a picture but wouldn't count on it any time soon as it's too cold (and I'm a pussy) to go do any work in the garage. :)
Then came the churches, then came the schools
Then came the lawyers, then came the rules
Then came the trains and the trucks with their loads
And the dirty old track was the Telegraph Road.
Brian

1979 Chevrolet Monza Spyder

Postby robson » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:51 pm

Stonebird wrote:Well if the retaining bolt came out in one piece, I suspect the pin could have a burr around the hole where it goes through. I think BFH is the next step.
1985 S-10 Axles are about 2 1/2 longer then the Monzas, anyone out there with any answers on the correct axles? My monza is a 2+2 spyder 1978, please post ASAP,, thanks. O by the way my small pin broke off,,, and it took a BFH to remove the big bin
robson

Postby cosvega76 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:22 pm

robson wrote:1985 S-10 Axles are about 2 1/2 longer then the Monzas, anyone out there with any answers on the correct axles? My monza is a 2+2 spyder 1978, please post ASAP,, thanks.

If your S-10 axles are 2-1/2" longer, you have 4x4 axles. You need 2WD S-10 axles.

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby robson » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:57 pm

Thanks Chuck, I had bought (ordered) from Advance Auto parts and I told them at the time I wanted the 2WD axles. I've got to rethink this project and find the correct axles, I have already redrilled the front rotors and they are ready for the road. Any info on where to obtain the correct axles would be appreciated. Thanks again.
robson

Postby hammerdown7 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:22 pm

robson wrote:Thanks Chuck, I had bought (ordered) from Advance Auto parts and I told them at the time I wanted the 2WD axles. I've got to rethink this project and find the correct axles, I have already redrilled the front rotors and they are ready for the road. Any info on where to obtain the correct axles would be appreciated. Thanks again.

You have to buy early S10 2WD axles to get the 26 splines. Ebay has them fairly often.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby robson » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:43 am

I found some axles that will fit at Summitt.
robson

Postby robson » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:06 pm

I thought I would pass this on, the axles have to be 26.7 inches to fit the Monzas. The other axles advance sold me were over 29inches in length most likely 4X4 axles.
robson

Postby robson » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:08 pm

Thanks Dick, I did go to ebay and saw them advertized by Summit so I went to the Summit site and ordered then from Summit.
robson

Previous

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech