LS conversion bellhousing question

Moderator: Moderators

LS conversion bellhousing question

Postby 72vega5.3 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:17 pm

I just bought a sachs 1050 flywheel on ebay tonight for the LS conversion. I read somewhere that you could use a BB chevy 621 bellhousing, but now I cant find the info. Anyone know for sure??
If not, I'll just get the LS conversion bell on ebay for $239
Im using a 73 corvette muncie
Also, does the 621 bell fit the tunnel without hammering?
72vega5.3

Re: LS conversion bellhousing question

Postby 72 SS PNL » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:57 pm

the bellhousing pattern is the same as the sbc and bbc , though they add 1 bolt to the top center , and loose one on the pass side

some sbc and bbc's had the top center bolt and some didnt , some ls blocks have the meat for the side bolt , but its very close to a water jacket , its also not big deal to not use it , since GM set it up that way from the start
first and best car owned 72 GT(changed to SS) panel wagon

pictures of the car from 86 - http://www.myrideisme.com/Garage/06_IBM_GOAT/955
72 SS PNL

1973 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby 283vega » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:06 am

Get the conversion bell if it corrects for the different crank positioning.I cant remember if the LS crank protrudes more or less from the back of the block, but it is different and screws up trying to use all the old stuff.
283 vega
70 corvette

Brian
283vega

Postby BadBowtie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:18 am

72vega5.3 wrote:I just bought a sachs 1050 flywheel on ebay tonight for the LS conversion. I read somewhere that you could use a BB chevy 621 bellhousing, but now I cant find the info. Anyone know for sure??

621 bellhousing is the right one and you need to mill off the dowel pins on the flywheel for the conversion. Here is a full writeup: http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1472584-mating-sbc-bbc-trans-t10-muncie-richmond-tko-ls-motor.html

However i dont know if it will fit the tunnel/firewall, might consider the ls conversion bell just because the outer diameter is smaller (steel vs ribbed aluminum).
James

1975 Vega GT sbc, Microsquirt w/Edelbrock MPFI, M21 4-speed and Ford 9"
BadBowtie

1975 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby 72vega5.3 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:46 pm

Thanks fella's, thats the thread I was looking for. I was hip to the dowel pin removal. I think Im going to get the conversion bellhousing
72vega5.3

Postby 1100kaw » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:49 am

Heres my research.
The GM bell will work. Has to be be for 168 tooth flywheel. LS is only the big one. Old BBC and SBC could still use 154t or 168t, just change the starter as ness.
If you use GM621, how do you do clutch linkage? Hydrolic throw out is about the only option. Not room for mechanical or slave on standard bell in vega. (unless cutting it up a lot).
The LS crank is deeper in block than SBC and BBC. If you use a standard old style bell there is an adapter pilot bearing that fits LS crank and catches the input shaft. Its even a GM part.
On the Flywheel....
The LS flywheel uses the dowl pins to locate the pressure plate correctly.
The old stuff uses shouldered bolts for this.
TO save some money on hi dollar clutch sets for the LS, I had my LS flywheel drilled for the shoulder style bolts so i could run old style pressure plates and disc. I went ahead and had them do 10.5" and 11" patterns, in case i decided i needed more clutch. and of course. drive the pins out with a punch, no need to have the mached off.
On the bell....
Here again, I'm all about the money. Sooo. I purchased a McLeod scatter sheild that has both trans patterns. T-5 17 degree version and standard strait up version. Turns out when using the strait up mount holes, the other top hole is exactly where the pivot ball for a monza style fork needs to go. So i used this set up, cut hole in scattersheild in correct place for other end of fork. ( about 7 oclock position). Welded mount for slave cyl. And went with Wilwood clutch master.
I started to stay cable, then realized the cable wouldnt clear the big aluminum oil pan on the LS as it needs to go into bell area. So the slave cyl is on back side(tranny side) of fork and pushes it.
Hope this helps a little.
Darrell
72 Vega GT LS
69 Skylark Wagon BBC
1100kaw

Postby anorexicvega » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:37 pm

72vega5.3 wrote:I just bought a sachs 1050 flywheel on ebay tonight for the LS conversion. I read somewhere that you could use a BB chevy 621 bellhousing, but now I cant find the info. Anyone know for sure??

where have you seen a conversion bellhousing for that price?
anorexicvega

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech