sag tail #

Moderator: Moderators

sag tail #

Postby crawfw » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:21 am

Looking to see if anyone knows the tailshaft part# for the saginaw for the hbody. Im thinking 352254? Looking to buy a sag and want to make sure its the right tailhousing. I know others look similar in pics but I believe some of those were for the F body.

thanks,
Bill
crawfw

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Re: sag tail #

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:20 pm

Bill, my GM manual shows 360002 for 1976 and 465214 for 77-78 and 14002530 for 79-80. These are all for the Saginaw (M20) trans. What you are probably seeing is a casting number which is not necessarily the same as a part number. One casting number could be machined into several different parts. You need to make sure you have the 3 holes for the torque arm to mount to.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby crawfw » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:16 am

Thanks Clyde. I was just trying to find a rebuilt with the needed tail housing already installed. I have changed one in the past so doing it again shouldn't be an issue. Once I found the c clip holding it on it was pretty simple. Lol. But another ? For anyone who might've heard about this. So I bought a rebuilt from a guy up around Cleveland. While discussing this with him he informed me he left off the tailhouse gasket. He said it tightens up the tranny and reduces chatter. Just wondering if anyone has any info on this. This guy builds and races sags so I figured he knows what he's talking about. He just uses sealant. I just don't want to start leaking and have to install the gasket later.
crawfw

Postby hammerdown7 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:31 am

Bill, where are you located? I'm just north of Detroit. I bought a rebuilt Saginaw a couple of years ago at Carlisle for my autocrosser but have decided to keep the Super T-10 in it. It came with a Hurst Competition Plus shifter but I don't think the shifter is for a Vega, it's not offset enough for the tunnel. I've thought about taking the shifter off and just selling the trans. The trans has just been sitting on the floor of my garage since buying it.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby crawfw » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:29 am

I actually already bought one. just waiting for ups to deliver. Thanks for the reply. Wish i had known before hand. Although I think I got a pretty good deal.

Thanks,
Bill
crawfw

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:23 pm

I don't think there is a problem replacing the gasket with sealer in terms of leaks. As far as tightening it up, I don't know. The tailshaft gasket is pretty thin, I don't know what the thickness of sealer would end up being but I can't imagine it's much different than a thin gasket.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby crawfw » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:44 pm

Yeah it seems kind of risky not using a gasket. Ive never been gutsy enough to try it although Ive seen people do it on other parts. I just read on a circle track forum that it does tighten up the tolerance and allows for more unnoticable wear which causes the vibration in these sags. It just says to make sure to use sealant on the bolts as well. Still undecided on this. I guess the gasket could be put on later without removing the tailshaft by splitting the gasket on the topside and running it around the shaft.
crawfw

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech