omg!

Moderator: Moderators

omg!

Postby IgotzaStarfire » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:27 am

I was just out driving and my clutch cable just snapped.... I have a 79 starfire >.< any suggestions to what I should do? what clutch cables would work with my car or how hard is it to install a hydraulic clutch?
IgotzaStarfire

Re: omg!

Postby 283vega » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:09 am

Try advance auto or autozone web sites I think they are still listed on one of there sites!
283 vega
70 corvette

Brian
283vega

Postby BillPappy » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:50 am

Having drove many cable clutch cars.I really hate cable clutch's.Upgrading to hydraulic clutch is one of the best things I could have ever done. I used mostly S10 and Astro van parts. I don't have a Hbody bellhousing and uses a push clutch fork typ. Not sure what to do with a Hbody bellhousing.
Do search on this forum. A lot of good pics as to where to place you master clutch and attach it to the clutch pedal. I ended up just welding a bolt to the clutch pedal arm.

I was forced into using it as a daily driver for a while. I have not even touched the clutch or its hydraulics.

The easy way would be just replace the cable.
It's hard for an old street racer to stay on the safe side of stupid

Pappy
BillPappy

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:09 am

You should be able to find that. I wrote up a thread on clutch cable maintenance, I think it helps. If you have trouble finding a cable or if anyone needs the much harder to find early clutch cable I have one of those. If a cable hasn't been changed in many years it's a good idea to do so to avoid these kinds of problems. Don't just wait for it to break. cjbiagi@yahoo.com
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby kgroombr » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:00 am

http://www.rockauto.com

IMHO has the best inventory of parts, best prices, and excellent customer service. I have ordered parts in the past that were "supposed" to fit my Vega, when they didn't, they promptly refunded the money/shipping for the part.

I ordered a clutch cable for my 72 Vega. It worked great and for $20, can't beat it.

Ken
kgroombr

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby IgotzaStarfire » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:40 pm

Called around can't find one...I can weld,I also own a welder.So that wouldn't be a problem.

What should I search for when looking for a hydraulic clutch installation thread?
IgotzaStarfire

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:45 pm

Many parts for these cars are getting very hard to find. I do a lot of searching for NOS and replacement parts for people and I should be able to get you a cable. Going hydraulic is fine but it's going to require a fair amount of fabrication and money. You can change a cable in about 30 minutes or so. If you'd like me to get a cable let me know. Is this a V6? Clyde
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby IgotzaStarfire » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:12 pm

nope :(
Last edited by IgotzaStarfire on Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IgotzaStarfire

Postby kgroombr » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:13 pm

IgotzaStarfire wrote:Called around can't find one...I can weld,I also own a welder.So that wouldn't be a problem.

What should I search for when looking for a hydraulic clutch installation thread?

Just looked on rockauto.com. V8 version is being closed out, but they have them for $14.57 + shipping. Have several types for V6 and 4 cyl at even better prices. Best get some spares.

Ken
kgroombr

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech