Rear end options

Moderator: Moderators

Rear end options

Postby nt40lanman » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:05 pm

Hi Guys, I want to get some opinions on rear axle options. The car is a Mirage with a 355 V8 and 700R4 Auto. What I currently have in it is an Iroc rear center housing with Monza axle tubes pushed into it. It's 3.23 posi (worn out). The problem is the pinion gear has a tooth blasted off it.

So here's what I think are my options:

1) Get the gears replaced with new. Then I still have a bad posi but it runs.

2) Get an Iroc rear out of a junkyard and not only swap in the gears AND posi, maybe the disc brake setup bolts to the end of my housing?

3) Most expensive, I have a complete ford 9", and another housing that could be shortened. It'll be strong but expensive.

4) any other suggestion?
nt40lanman

Re: Rear end options

Postby hammerdown7 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:34 pm

Check with Jim at J.D. Race, www.jdrace.com

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Re: Rear end options

Postby monzaz » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:39 pm

Don't call me for a 9" I do not like them. :)

The problem is the torque arm... Just a tough area to work around. I would work on this rear more but no one wants to spend any money. :( We have so many regular builds that there is not enough time to work on it either.
Best i can do fro you and other is to narrow a 8.5 GM rear and you can install your perches and try to figure a torque system from the cast center or make a arch around the pinion area. I have been working with the GM 10 bolt 8.5 corp front diff front a truck WHICH has a nice area on the casting to make the torque arm bolt on by drilling etc. Jim
J D Race & Restoration
Richfield, Oh
JDRACE.COM
monzaz

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech