Hydrolic clutch

Moderator: Moderators

Hydrolic clutch

Postby 1100kaw2 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:04 pm

On my LS project
I used a wildwood clutch master and speedway slave cyl. Correct bores to be used together according to info they provide.
I have a steel scatter shield, welded mount for slave to push the vega/nova fork, from the tranny side.
It works, but. has quite a bit of peddle pressure. And adjusted everyway I can try. dis engages at end of master throw, peddle to the floor.Then starts engaging instantly off the floor. Would like to get a little free play and a better peddle feel.
Any input????
Thanks Darrell
Darrell

72 LS-5spd.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=33788
1100kaw2

Re: Hydrolic clutch

Postby dadhad1 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:34 pm

Sounds like you might have some air in the system.
Is it bled out really well?

Mike
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'What is it? A Maverick? No. A Pinto? No. Looks like a mini Camaro. A Camaro? No. A Chevette? HAHA, No. It's a Vega. Ahhhhh, cool man.'

My Vega Photo Gallery at World of Wheels in Boston 2014
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/115 ... pAWBWhqw1V
YouTube Video Playlist of My V8 Vega Resto Mod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1EZdPJ ... ELLLJsPs6C
dadhad1

Postby 1100kaw2 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:34 pm

Well, its been quite a while since I have mess with car. I'm re-gearing rear axle and have driveshaft out of course. (one step closer to trans removal) This brings me back to the clutch pedal thing in my post above. The system is bled well, everything is moving its full throw. Can someone explain the adjustment of the for ball in bellhousing for me? The way I had to fab this together with steel scattersheild and 5spd, I cant adjust ball without pulling trans. The ball stud just barely clears the top cover of trans when it sticks thru the bell and I moved the lock nut to the inside of the bell. I have to drop trans, reach in hole, adjust ball, reinstall trans. :(
So, if I lengthen the ball mount(more ball towards the engine) will this give me any more throw on the pressure plate? thus letting it engage a little higher off the floor.
If I am thinking right this may solve problem, but I may still fight a little free play so that bearing not always riding on pressure plate.
I hope you can picture this in your head and it makes sense.
Thanks in advance.
If I can just get this clutch figured out, rear back together. then its off to chassis dyno for tune.
Then I drive. :D
Darrell

72 LS-5spd.
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=33788
1100kaw2

Postby cosvega76 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:15 am

Darrell,

If the clutch fork isn't adjusted in the correct way it will be stiff. Here's a link to Clyde's excellent description on how to set the initial adjustment on the fork:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38192&p=220853&hilit=clutch+adjustment#p220853

Chuck
cosvega76

1973 Chevrolet Vega GT

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech