T56 swap questions

Moderator: Moderators

T56 swap questions

Postby 76wagon » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:13 pm

I'm looking into a T56 swap into my Vega, been searching the forums and the googles but haven't quite found out what I need to know.

Found one for sale locally enough, it's from a 94-96 LT1 Camaro with the bellhousing, clutch and flywheel included. My plan is to use a hydraulic throwout bearing (already have a T5 in there now with this setup) for exhaust clearance reasons. The speedo, driveshaft and crossmember are easy fixes, I'm most concerned about the clutch.

So the question is has anyone used this setup and how did they do it? I'm hoping I can make it work with the LT1 input shaft and bellhousing, using my existing flywheel and a new clutch. I can machine a bellhousing spacer or just about any other part I night need, but I'd rather not have to drop a ton of cash on a bellhousing or an input shaft if I don't have to.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'd rather buy the right parts later than the wrong ones now if I can help it :mrgreen:

Phill
76wagon

Re: T56 swap questions

Postby TimMcCabe » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:50 am

Hi Phill,

The LT1 uses a pull style clutch, so you need to use the flywheel/clutch from the LT1. I also had a T5 set up before I installed the T56 and I just reused the T5 hydraulics.
The slave cylinder points in the other direction, so I had to use a longer braided hose to hook it all up.
PS the LT1 flywheel only fits the newer 1 piece rear main seal crankshaft, I remember reading an article where an LT1 T56 was used with a hydraulic throw out bearing and a normal push style clutch, but it took some serious mods to get it working. The LT1 T56 bell-housing is about 1" shorter then the LS, this is why they had the pull style clutch..
I'm in Whitby, so if you are ever out my way, feel free to PM me and you can stop by and see my set up.

Tim

Also, does the guy selling the T56 also have the Camaro torque arm for sale? I'm in need of one....
1972 TPI Vega T56 6 speed

Contact me for all of your Tachometer needs
TimMcCabe

Postby 76wagon » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:00 am

Thanks for the info Tim. I knew it was shorter but not that much, not really what I wanted to hear but definitely good to know.

So to me it sounds like my options would be to buy a flywheel ($400+ http://www.hawksthirdgenparts.com/produ ... -main.html ) and use the factory clutch setup or buy a longer input shaft ($200+ http://www.thegearbox.org/T56.html ) plus a bellhousing or machine up a spacer so I could use a push-style clutch and a hydraulic throwout bearing. OR wait for an LS tranns to come up for sale, I'm guessing those probably fetch a few more dollars

Would you be able to post up a pic of your setup? Specifically how your exhaust is routed around the slave cylinder? I like the idea of an external slave better than the hydraulic throwout bearing but the slave on my T5 was right where my drivers side header runs.

Phill
76wagon

Postby TimMcCabe » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:58 am

Here is a link to my install http://forums.h-body.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28664
The slave is on the trans side of the bell housing and should not be anywhere near the headers. It points towards the rear of the car..

Cheers,
Tim

TimMcCabe

Postby 76wagon » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:37 pm

Thanks for the link, must have missed that thread when I was searching. Clears up a lot of questions I had. Compared your pics with some I have of my exhaust and looks like you're right, nothing to worry about for slave / header clearance :D Sounds like a fancy flywheel might be in my future

How was the driveshaft length? I'm planning on having to have mine shortened again but if not that's another $250ish freed up for other stuff

Don't think the guy has the torque arm, said it came with an engine he bought. Next time I'm gonna be up by Whitby I'll send you a message, I'd like to check your car out.

Phill
76wagon

Postby TimMcCabe » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:17 pm

The LT1 drive shaft is maybe 1" too long, but I've been using it as is since the T56 was installed without issue. I'm looking to get an aluminum one at some point..

Cheers,
Tim

TimMcCabe

Postby 76wagon » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:46 pm

Bought it! Now I can jack up the car and grab a tape measure and get a better idea what I've gotten myself into. Gonna be pretty sweet being able to grab that extra gear. 80mph and 70rpm here I come....

Phill
76wagon

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech