Sag 4 spd questions

Moderator: Moderators

Sag 4 spd questions

Postby crawfw » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:22 pm

Have a rebuilt sag 4 spd. Just swapped the tailshaft to an h body torque arm style. Sealed up the trans and realized it has the large front bearing cover that won't fit into the bell housing. :bang: Just wondering if there's anyway to use this trans. Different bell housing?, change front bearing and cover? Really don't want to swap the tail housing again back to the 3 ringer. The sealed trans is the 2 ringer. Really wanted to get this thing back on the road before the snow/salt starts flying.
crawfw

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Re: Sag 4 spd questions

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:06 pm

I believe you can just change the front bearing retainer or have your original cut down at a machine shop. If you need help finding one let me know. cjbiagi@yahoo.com
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby crawfw » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:46 pm

Clyde. I was thinking that but assumed the bearing was larger and required the larger cover/retainer. I just didn't want to unseal the front just to find out. If you think the bearing is the same I will do that. I have the smaller retainer from the other trans. So the different sizes are just to accommodate the different bell housing hole not the bearing size? I will try to attach a pic after I send this. It may not download with no internet but want to get this response posted so I can get to working on it.
crawfw

Postby crawfw » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:59 pm

This is a pic of the smaller retainer . Just making sure this is the piece we're talking about.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crawfw

Postby crawfw » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:52 pm

I got the smaller one swapped onto the trans. Thanks a bunch Clyde. I may be looking for another side cover(I cracked one not having the reverse lever lined up right) and middle shifter assembly. (The piece that slides into the side cover hole) it was broke when I pulled the shifter arm off. And I guess another small front bearing retainer. I need all those so I can put the 3 ringer back together for a backup. If you can find any of those let me know. If not I'll keep an eye on eBay.
crawfw

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech