Which Clutch kit , flywheel , and TO bearing to buy?

Moderator: Moderators

Which Clutch kit , flywheel , and TO bearing to buy?

Postby monza4me » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:39 am

I've acquired a 78 4 speed V6 monza project that I'm quickly dropping in a trusty late model 1 piece seal SBC. I have a monza V8 bellhousing to replace the BOP and would like to use the existing 4 speed trans/ cable setup for testing until it fails. I need to know what the best sized clutch kit ie 10.5" flywheel size 153 tooth? and the exact part number for the short TO bearing which will work best. And were all of the 4 speeds saginaws in H bodys? thanks in advance
Last edited by monza4me on Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
monza4me

Re: Which Clutch kit , flywheel , and TO bearing to buy?

Postby zeke » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:32 am

I just bought this Ram clutch set with throwout bearing, from Summit Racing: RAM-92760

Roller pilot bearing is Carquest number BGS 57080
Chris

zeke's 79 Monza Project

zeke's 78 Sport Coupe

Photographs posted by this user (zeke) are the sole property of this poster. Any use without express written permission is prohibited
zeke

1979 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:33 am

I am not sure but you may want to research the bolt pattern on a late model engine and make sure it's the same. Seems like there were some differences between early and late engines but I can't remember. You may also have a issue with bolting a V8 Monza oil pan to a late model 1 piece rear seal engine.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby monza4me » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:22 am

Big thanks, the RAM-92760 10.5" kit mates to the 1 piece seal OEM external balance post 1986 block 153 tooth zoom flywheel perfectly and I had concerns an 11" set up would not fit the stock V8 bell housing . This is my 7th H body project yet the very first stick one. If the cable setup is inadequate, I'll switch to a hydraulic arrangement and post results along with an eventual TKO 600 swap
monza4me

Postby zotarajohn » Sun May 25, 2014 8:44 pm

I'm going nuts hoping I did not buy too soon!!! Is there a flywheel that will fit my Monza bell housing and bolt to my 87 350 k code one PC.rear main seal crank shaft!!! Someone please reply soon!!!
zotarajohn

Postby RamIt » Sun May 25, 2014 8:57 pm

zotarajohn wrote:I'm going nuts hoping I did not buy too soon!!! Is there a flywheel that will fit my Monza bell housing and bolt to my 87 350 k code one PC.rear main seal crank shaft!!! Someone please reply soon!!!

Sure, just buy a flywheel from a 86-92 305 camaro.

Postby zotarajohn » Sun May 25, 2014 9:10 pm

Thanks big time,now I can sleep easier tonight! I was wondering about them newer (86-92) camaros but it just seemed too easy. You say a 305, I'm sure 350 is the same right? Thanks again! :D :D :D :D
zotarajohn

Postby RamIt » Mon May 26, 2014 1:24 am

Yes both the 305 and the 350 are internally balanced with the last weight added to the flywheel on one piece sealed engines.

Postby keithnh » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:43 pm

WOW a guy that knows h-body flywheels! Here's a bit of a curve .. installing an 84 3.8 in 78 Sunbird wagon. Should be the same engine as the optional Safari 3.8 of 78-79. External balance even-fire 3.8 have the correct h-body v-6 Monza bell housing coming ... trouble locating info to get the right flywheel and clutch setup as h-body familiarity is gone everywhere, nobody knows "what will work". Can you tell me??
keithnh

Postby Monza Harry » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:03 pm

Keith, Clyde [cjbiagi]is your guy! He has had a stick shift Monza (V8) since it was new 1975 and he waited for what seemed like forever to his young self. He has the spent the most time on this board with fitting the best clutch that will fit in the stock bell housing. So if you do a search of his posts you will find answers to most if not all your clutch questions although not as pertaining to your Buick V6 situation. He is also one of the "Chosen Ones" when it comes to finding H-Body parts made of "Unobtainium" Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby keithnh » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:04 pm

Thanks Harry will try doing that ... Keith
keithnh

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:40 pm

Keith, first off let me say that I am not real familiar with the V6 engine or anything specific to that engine. With that in mind, I will say that a 10.5" clutch assembly will fit into a H body bellhousing. Why you are having a issue with getting a correct starter and flywheel combo I am not sure about. With regards to the clutch, you want to stay with a diaphragm style "street" clutch and try to use the shortest "short" throwout bearing available. This helps maintain the best clutch fork geometry and will aid with the cable setup. I would not shy away from the cable setup but there are things you can do to help it to survive and reduce the pedal pressure. I like to keep the cable lubricated and have been using synthetic motor oil, you can remove the cable from the firewall and drip some oil down where it enters the sheath. You also want to insulate the lower part of the cable especially if you are running headers as the inside of the cable has a plastic or nylon liner that can be affected by the heat. Do not use a Centerforce brand flywheel as the weights will interfere with the fork. You also want to make sure the clutch cable is adjusted properly and this involves getting all the slack out of the cable and properly adjusting the ball stud on the top right of the bellhousing. I can send you a text that I wrote up on that when the time comes.
You should also check and address the firewall flex issue that can happen on these cars where the cable exits the firewall. It is not uncommon to see the firewall flex from the pressure exerted by the cable, there are ways to reinforce it if need be. I added a brace that the cable butts up against on the firewall and ran the other end to the heavy part of the wheelwell right under the windshield washer bottle. This helps direct the force to a much stronger part of the body and reduces or eliminates the flex. It also helps the cable by not allowing any lost motion.....
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby keithnh » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:13 pm

Thanks Clyde, you have a lot of posts to search :) Off to work but just wanted to ask if you know why the smaller flywheel-clutch if the larger will fit? Maybe just because of lower output engines? My trouble I think is I am searching for a smaller H-flywheel 1. and an externally balanced flywheel for V6 2. There is a possibility I don't need to worry about either if the standard flywheel I end up with fits and the 84 231 is fully internally balanced. Motor is being pulled this week .. will see if there is a weight on the flexplate. According to one source if there is not its internally balanced, I will order a firebird flywheel and try it. Any recommendations on brand/model 10.5" clutch for a street car.
keithnh

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:35 pm

I am really just familiar with V8 clutch and flywheel setups but you don't really need a killer clutch in a light weight H body. I used a complete Hays 10.5" clutch setup in my car. I had to upgrade from the small stock 9 1/8" clutch after I swapped in a 355 V8 from the original 262 V8. I used a Hays 10-330 steel 153 tooth flywheel along with their "street" pressure plate and disc. I has proved to be a very reliable setup. Most other manufactures clutches should be fine as well. Consider that these 10.5" clutches are the same ones used in heavier Camaro's, Chevelles, etc so they should be more than adequate for a lighter car like ours. As far as I know the clutches should be the same assuming the bolt pattern is the same on the V6 flywheel.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Monzamaddogger » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:04 pm

I had a hard time finding a 231 flywheel for my Skyhawk. I ended up getting one through Centerforce. It was like $400. I was told that I would need to "match balance" it as compared to the flex plate I had at my local NAPA. I got the flywheel and it came with drill balancing that matched the light side of the flex plate, so I just installed it. I haven't ran the car yet, so I'm hoping for the best. I got a stock replacement 10.4" clutch pack at the parts store.
-Adam

'75 Skyhawk (project)
'80 Monza Spyder (driver)
'76 Sunbird (14,000 original miles)
Monzamaddogger

Next

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech