5 lug conversion

Moderator: Moderators

5 lug conversion

Postby mirage_brat » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:42 pm

i would like to do a 5 lug conversion on my 77 monza mirage but dont know what would match up to mine. any help?
mirage_brat

Re: 5 lug conversion

Postby bugdewde » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:01 pm

Most of that info is in the Suspension/Brakes forum... check it out: http://forums.h-body.org/viewforum.php?f=10

Also, see the forum's Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) here... specifically 5.3 and 5.4..... http://www.h-body.org/library/hbodyfaq/index.html

Really depends on what kind of skill you have.

Easiest methods are:
Front: Redrilled or converted 5-lug h-body rotors for the front.... they're hard to find... although I remember someone on here had some for sale recently.
Rear: 1st generation (83-87-ish not completely sure which years) S-10 2-wheel drive rear axle shafts (26 spline) swapped into the H-body housing.

More involved, but mostly bolt-on method for the front is the S-10 (or G-body) spindle swap.... requires a balljoint adapter from v8monza.com Some say the alignment afterward isn't good using this swap. Too much camber, I think they say.

There's a few other means, which involve cutting/welding, custom made control arms, steering set up, etc.....

I went with the simple bolt-on approach using Justin's (Overkill Racing) custom made upper and lower control arms that simply use the S-10 balljoints and spindles that I picked up at a local pickapart.
Justin's control arms are a little pricey but I can't weld or fabricate, so the "bolt-on" approach was fairly easy for me. He corrects the alignment issues with using S-10 spindles with his custom made control arms.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby mirage_brat » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:21 pm

Are all monzas 26 spline then?
mirage_brat

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:02 pm

Yes, all are 26 spline.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby mirage_brat » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:00 am

OK just making sure. Thanks :th:
mirage_brat

Postby MonzaRacer » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:23 am

www.v8monza.com for the ball joint adapters, any Gbody or 2wd S10 spindle works, even the newer extreme ZQ spindles. Been working with a machinist to create a new steering arm that "fixes" the overly long arm, which is biggest issue with S10 spindle swaps. the arms are longer and being cast the original Gbody/S10 spindles WONT handle any heat to correct them, if they were forged they could be warmed up and properly bent to shorten the arms or even cut and rewelded. Been wanting to measure up frontend with ATS/Speedtech spindle for a Gbody just never had the cash to try them.
The older S10/Gbody brakes work fine and if you swap in Hawk, Perf. Friction or another more aggressive pad the car will stop VERY well.
ZQ 2wd spindles/caliper brackets, LESS hub and bearings come up on ebay quite regular, wheel bearing are also available on Ebay, steeri towards the SKF brand
Also IF you want to you can swap in C5/C6 Corvette brakes IF you go to 17 in wheels.
I have also worked on simpler idea of different pitman arm/idler arm(not much luck) OR moving steering box and idler arm farther forward,,,,this corrects the long steering arm issue AND oil pan interference issue. I have been working out some issue Using similar ideas to Ridetech tru turn kits for older F body and other stuff. They are supposed to be doing one for a G body, too. Havent seen one yet but I'm only 30 miles away and my mom lives about mile up road from them. AND I am gonna work with them to get better coilover setup dialed in.
Biggest issue is shock travel. I have used S10 2wd Monroe Reflex shocks on front, they work well for the most part.
Rear shocks that fit ok in back is from a 70 Monte Carlo/Chevelle. Reason I looked at these was I got a set for free ad could use them on my 70/71 Monte if needed.
INFO:
2 wheel drive width from WMS to WMS is 54.5 inches
4 wheel drive width from WMS to WMS is 59 inches
S10 Rear end Ring Gear and Axle Sizes:
1983 to 1992 7.5" ring gear 26 spline axles
Available from 1988+ 7.625" ring gear 28 spline axles
Available from 1995 and up, 8.5" ring gear 30 spline axles, standard for 98+ ZR2's with rear discs
These are some of the axle RPO codes and should be the same for all GMs with either of these axles.
GU4=3.08
GU5=3.23
GU6=3.42
GT4=3.73
GT5=4.10
HC4=4.56
G80= locking differential
2wd 54.5"
4wd 59"
ZR2 63"

I used an 86 S10 3.42 open rearend, cut down s10 springs. Made mine 12.5 in long from center of front spring bushing, to spring centering bolt, over all they are about 14-15 total. I am thinking centering length MIGHT need to be 13 ish but never got around to remeasuring.
Car was LETHAL in traction area with torque motor, and 275/60/15 tires. DID have to roll front edge of wheel well about the amount of the flat wheel lip . I just used bmfh to roll it in. Just in first 3 or 4 inches. Could have used sawsall to trim it, but didnt have one at time, built car in week.
I am gonna cut old spring perches off my newest Monza car, hack all the old mounts off my current rearend, reason is on stock S10 spring perches the pinion points UP about 1 1/2 VERY bad pinion angle. Still drove awesome.
I had Outlaw II 15x8.5 3.5 back space in ba ck with 275/60s, in front I ran S10 spindles and 15x7 w/225/50/15 tires on front.
Corvette rallys fit in back with 93 up Camaro rotors after cutting them down to the hub part, then simply slid them over studs using them as spacers.
15x7 Rallys in front worked but then also had 15x7 Outlaw II also.
SO if a 15x8.5 with 3.5 BS fit on 54.5 axle (2wd s10 or stock Monza) then 5 3/4 BS would fit with 4wd rearend, OR if using ZR2 axle then a 7.8 BS should fit. Just some off the cuff math for some who might want more than 15s or stock Monza rears.
I haave been looking for 4x4 and ZR2 rears and Extreme parts to do installs to verify offsets and fit.
Last I read Overkill isnt offering ANY of his Hbody parts.
I do have rear bolt in upper 3 or 4 link arm crossmember designed, just gotta get some bent up. This would allow installation of a true non torque arm set up.
Also working on a better centering set up with Fays2 Watts link setup. The design sets up with prop arms mounted to axle tubes and prop mount on car. This allows for less unsprung weight.
Also been working on centering the gas tank to allow for easier dual tail pipes over the axle.
My 77 will have a 283 all forged bottom end(Eagle I beams, Forged pistons/crank)double humps and hope to use my LT1 intake and custom ignition based on Northstar DIS and twin GT2871r ebay Chinese turbos and intercooler.
Been planning Ridetech coil overs in front, possibly back but my first incarnation I hoped to build it with air ride, just out of room in front till I get some more design work time.
MonzaRacer

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech