Another S10 rear end post

Moderator: Moderators

Another S10 rear end post

Postby dallin95 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:27 pm

Sorry to be the guy who asks the same thing as everybody else, haha, but yesterday i was driving my 75 cosworth Vega and I launched and broke the pinion shaft. I knew the rear end wouldnt be able to hold the power, but i was surprised i broke it so fast, :rolleyes: my question is, which years of S10 have the right rear end to swap in. I know i have to cut and weld mounts and such. and also, is there a good way to know if the rear end is a posi/gov-lock, besides a rear sway bar? Im going to go junkyard hunting and its freezing in utah, and i dont want to spend hours pulling diff covers, haha.
dallin95

Re: Another S10 rear end post

Postby dallin95 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:29 pm

i should add, the car has an aluminum headed 355, with about 400hp, that might help :th:
dallin95

Postby RamIt » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:14 am

Sticky tires? manual trans?
Unfortunately "or fortunately, how ever you look at it" your cosworth has the 7.5" torque arm rear end so there is no bolt in torque arm replacement other than Monza's, sunbirds, starfires.
You can beef up the rear to withstand some decent abuse.
Check out jdrace.com and private message monzaz on this board.

*edit* You can buy a 9" bolt in rear from http://www.overkillracecars.com but Justin has taken a hiatus from making h-body parts until he gets caught up with other projects.

Postby dallin95 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:29 pm

street tires and a turbo 350, i was just launching it off the stall. i know that the s10 rear end wont bolt in, but i know that you can cut the mounts off and use the ones off the vega rear end. My only question, is, does it have to be a square body s10 or will any 2wd work?
dallin95

Postby RamIt » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:46 am

Your cosworth lacks the upper arm mounts that the earlier vegas had and the s10 lacks the torque arm mount so the s10 rear wont work for you. :(
There are a few here making your power or more using the stock 7.5" housing but i am not the one that can answer the questions about beefing one up.
I'm sad to hear that yours blew up on the first squeeze. I have a 75 cosworth and am in the process of dropping in a 360hp L31 crate motor with a cam upgrade and a 5 speed.
I'm not looking forward to dealing with blowing up the stock rear. I did that back in 1984 in my monza and had the axle slide out around a corner.

Postby vegastre » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:23 pm

is there a good way to know if the rear end is a posi/gov-lock,

This thread should help... viewtopic.php?f=10&t=39996
Phil Kennedy~
72 Chevrolet Vega GT Hatchback
75 Pontiac Astre SJ Safari Wagon
vegastre

1975 Pontiac Astre SJ

Postby bugdewde » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:20 pm

dallin95 wrote:......... does it have to be a square body s10 or will any 2wd work?

According to this post.... any 2WD will work. BUT , as you know, they don't have provisions for the torque arm that runs from the trans to the rear(along side the drive shaft). Lots of set-up time, cutting, measuring, welding, etc.....
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31946

To avoid any welding of brackets, mounts and such.... why not use the original housing and swap in a later(94-newer) 7.5" 28-spline carrier and axle shafts into your original 7.5 housing. You have to use a conversion pinion bearing (part number is listed in the FAQ, I'm sure), or have the pinion shaft turned down to accept the smaller pinion bearing of the original 7.5". No cutting, measuring, welding, etc.... but you will have to set up the shims/pre-load/backlash of the new carrier into the original housing.
See section 3.11 of the FAQ...... http://h-body.org/library/hbodyfaq/index.html

Monzaz shipped me the 28-spline carrier, ring and pinion gears, modified the pinion shaft for me AND sent me some 28-spline axle shafts. He IS the rear end guy on this forum.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby dallin95 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:18 pm

so i pulled the diff cover off and found that the ring and pinion were still intact and the spider gears and posi unit were in pieces, this was actually somewhat of a relief, im considering a minispool, and was curious, do i need a 26 or a 28 spline spool, and what other components (seals and such) would i need?
dallin95

Postby RamIt » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:58 pm

Stock they came with 26 spline axles.

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech