buick v6 to v8 stick trans help

Moderator: Moderators

buick v6 to v8 stick trans help

Postby whitechocolate » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:56 pm

Puting a 79 buick 350 in my 77 monza has a t5 brog out of a 80s comaro. I know the bell housimg bolts up (231 odd) but will the flex plate and clutch. If its ballanced diffrent will i be able to re balence it the right way. How will it hold up i will race it from time to time. Maybe alot. The syncros are shot in it grinds and wins when out if gear and going to first and revers shifts great tho. If i get it rebuilt will it last. I do some power breaking and all that other fun stuff. The buick motor is temp till i find or get frame plates and go with a 383 or 350 or 400 not sure. i want pozi and 4:11 and probaby an s 10 rear also hurd they are weak with tq and sticky tires just hell with some needed info. im young and need help from the elders:)
whitechocolate

Re: buick v6 to v8 stick trans help

Postby bugdewde » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:40 am

There are a couple of theses swaps documented here on the forum. If you look in the upper right-hand corner of the forum, there's a "search" box. I put in Buick V8 and got quite a few hits. Here's a good one that I dug up....... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27856

ks_skyhawk also has done this swap.... try searching his posts or PM him.
I think apollo455 has also done one, too.

These are the only ones that I know of, but there are several hits from the search button trying.... "Buick V8", "SSB" (small block buick), "Buick 350", "Buick 455", etc...

Some more searching ..... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30284&start=7
...... one more.... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27542

Seems to be a lot of discussion on the topic, so just start digging.

By the way, my Buick 215 V8 swap doesn't apply here, so if your search hits on the small, aluminum Buick 215 V8.... it's not the info you're looking for, as I don't think any of it's mounts will work. I know the bellhousing bolt patterns are different.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech