Need help with Muncie

Moderator: Moderators

Need help with Muncie

Postby monzam22 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:19 pm

Hello everybody...

As some of you may already know, I now have a Monza spyder with a 350, muncie (I believe an M21) and a camaro rear. I have driven the car maybe 20 miles, and I am getting concerned....

The past two times I have driven it, there is a horrible bearing noise coming from what appears to be the transmission area in neutral. It gets louder the faster you go.
It also likes to kick me out of gear unless I am accelerating, if I'm cruising it throws me out and grinds. Thats why I have to throw it in neutral when coming to a stop or something.

I have not checked the oil yet that will be the first thing I do on my day off, but unfortunately I do not believe that to be the issue but ya never know...
Also, the clutch has been getting difficult to depress when warm.

Lol, any suggestions or input? It appears to be a manual clutch, no clutch reservoir or anything.

***NEVERMIND*** I decided to remove the fill plug and stick my finger in there. It was a little low, and the oil is full of metal in there. :bang:

WIth that being said, what do you think "gave up the ghost"? Where should I buy a rebuild kit, is this something I can tackle pretty easily? I have moderate to experienced skills in the driveline compartment.
monzam22

Re: Need help with Muncie

Postby crawfw » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:59 pm

Just curious if you could get a pic of the trans from the drivers side showing the linkage connections. Some pics of the car would be cool too. A lot of members like to see pics of new members cars. Im still curious of the torque arm setup if you have a muncie and a camaro rear.

Thanks,
Bill
crawfw

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby monzam22 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:42 pm

I actually snapped a couple pics for you when I took it in to get the exhaust done. Ill post them up on our other thread tonight
monzam22

Postby monzam22 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:10 pm

Just wanted to give you guys an update-

Pulled the transmission out. It appears the input shaft was grinding into the front of the case. Everything looks good except for
a little wear on the input shaft gears and the front cluster gear, not a big deal.

Should be back in the car within a couple of weeks, waiting for some $$ to get a rebuild kit.
monzam22

Postby monzam22 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:30 am

Alright So I'm in trouble. Dont even ask how, but long story short I now have the bellhousing out of the car, with the fork pivot bolt that holds it to the bellhousing completely snapped off, along with the throwout bearing trashed.

I have no idea where the **** to find any parts for it. It is a 360162 bellhousing, with the angled clutch fork, cable driven.
I was just going to buy a new fork with the pivot ball already installed, but I cannot find ANYWHERE that has one. How do I install the release bearing in this thing? Can I just purchase this pivot ball (http://www.jegs.com/i/McLeod/673/16908/ ... 7AodTlIA1Q) and call it a day with a new bearing?

Also, is it bad that the little rubber stop in between those two bearing stops is missing?

any help is appreciated, I feel like an idiot.

thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
monzam22

Help with muncie

Postby crawfw » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:16 am

I just finished doing all this on my car about a month ago. lol . Your clutch fork looks to be in good order. The pivot ball screws into the bell housing from the inside and should have a nut on the outside of the bellhousing to hold it in place once the proper adjustment is made. Then your cluthfork just snaps onto the ball. Your TO bearing is trashed so you def need a new one. I may have a new ball stud because I trashed a bellhousing and had to buy another one and it came with a ballstud and I already had purchased one. I'll let you know once I look in the garage. If not, Clyde may be able to get you one. Anyhow , your throwout bearing will just sit between the two fingers on the other side of the clutch fork. Its kinda tricky but once you balance it on there, your input shaft feeds through and should keep it in place while you slide your trans back in. just have to work it in slow and keeping it at a good angle. You need the shortest TO bearing. I believe its 2 1/4". ill try to paste some info on here for you that I had looked up and members on here helped me with.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFXhTR-epws
Watch this video, It helped me a tremendous amount on torque specs and clutch install..along with the clutch fork and TO bearing. You might have to copy and paste the link into your browser if you cant click on it. I'll try to round up the other info and paste it on here as well
crawfw

Postby crawfw » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:38 am

Hopefully you can get the rest of that ball stud out of the bellhousing. I couldnt get mine out all the way. It just got hung up and the allen head in the stud was rounded out by the time I was finished with it. Reach out to Clyde for part numbers on the TO bearing and the ballstud if I cant find the one i have. Heres another link to find parts on ebay but you have to be careful and make sure its the right parts. Just ask here before buying.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/6000/i.html?_nk ... =10&_rdc=1
Keep this link in your favorites as you will absolutely need it for these cars. lol
crawfw

Postby monzam22 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:02 am

Thank you for all your help man. I got the rest of the stud out of the bell housing with some
vicegrips. I stretched the hell out of it when it broke but it came out. if you could please check for a pivot stud that would be awesome. Will it be an issue if one of the little rubber stops is missing on one of the two fork bearing retainers?
monzam22

Postby crawfw » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:15 pm

I will check for the ball stud when I get home. I'll also have to look for how much I paid for it. Ive bought so much crap for this car I cant remember what I paid for what. Im thinking i paid like $30 to $40. About the rubber piece missing, I couldnt figure out what you were talking about since mine didnt have any. Mustve fallen out long ago. It looks like your talking about the inside of the fork fingers that hold the TO bearing. Looks like one of yours is still in. Is that what your talking about? Mine were not there and Its back together and working fine. Im sure they are there to help hold th TO bearing in place but probably do nothing under operation. Again, youll have to get better feedback from a more knowledgable member. this was my first time beyond the bellhousing of an hbody. What shifter do you have in the car? Was it mounted to the trans or to the tunnel of the car? Just curious because the stock shifter on these cars is mounted to the tunnel. Im assuming you prob have a aftermarket shifter bolted to the trans. Not sure the stock shifter would work on anything other than a saginaw.
crawfw

Postby crawfw » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:32 pm

sent you a PM. let me know if you have trouble getting your messages.
crawfw

Postby hammerdown7 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:47 am

hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby sgancarz » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:21 pm

Steve
1973 Vega GT
sgancarz

Postby hammerdown7 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:54 pm

That's for a Vega, won't fit a small block.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:20 pm

If you need a NOS ballstud I may still be able to get one. The rubber tips on the fork are there to prevent the throwout bearing race from spinning but many TO bearings have a raised hump built it to do the same thing. I sold a bunch of those NOS ballstuds a while back but don't think I have any left but I may know where I can get one. cjbiagi@yahoo.com
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby monzam22 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:43 pm

Thanks for the help guys. The bellhousing and fork are fine, all I need is the stud. Crawfw is going to help me out and sell me his spare. I am going to order the throwout bearing now, any recommendations?
monzam22

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech