throwout bearing

Moderator: Moderators

throwout bearing

Postby monzam22 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:17 pm

Anybody have a part number for the short throwout bearing needed for our cars? I need one asap! Thanks.
monzam22

Re: throwout bearing

Postby crawfw » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:15 pm

http://www.summitracing.com/search/year ... %20bearing

Any of these should work. The last one looks weird but also says the image may be wrong.
crawfw

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby crawfw » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:24 pm

I narrowed the search down and its showing the last 2 on the page for the spyder. I really dont think the spyder T.O. bearing is unique compared to any other v8 hbody. hopefully some others will chime in here before you order.
crawfw

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:03 pm

I did a thread a year or two ago about clutch fork angle and the geometry to get things adjusted correctly. For my car which uses a Hays "street" clutch and flywheel I suggest using the shortest "short" throwout bearing you can get. This helps get the fork angle to the best geometry. Most people think there are just two throwout bearings, "short" and "long". Truth is there are some subtle differences at least between the short ones. I would suggest # 614083 which is the shortest one. Keep in mind we are only talking about a difference of maybe 1/8" between these but that difference gets compounded when you get into the rest of the linkage, fork etc. This has a 1.185 overall length. It worked for me.....
Here's a link to the past thread viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36355&start=15 Scroll through the entire thread as I have some pics to help see the differences.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby monzam22 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:01 am

Youre the man! I went through the whole thread and it made alot of sense.
i just went out and got the throwout bearing from a local Oreillys near me, and sure enough
it is about an 1/8th of an inch shorther than the one i took out. Hopefully this works! And also
thanks to mr.crawford for hooking me up with a new pivot stud.
monzam22

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:43 am

As a side note to this I would still like to emphasis lubricating the clutch cable. While I know there may be different opinions as to whether a cable should be lubricated I have become a advocate of doing so. It's been a couple years since I started this and in my opinion it greatly reduces the friction within the cable and pedal effort. I have not seen any ill effects from it. If you have never done it before try it and let us know your reaction. I disconnect the cable from the pedal and pull it through the firewall and then squirt oil down the cable. Give it a fair amount, any excess will exit the bottom of cable.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby crawfw » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:39 pm

Hey monzam22. Did you get the ball stud I sent. Let me know. I sent you a pm but you haven't opened it. Need to know you got it

Thx,
Bill
crawfw

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech