FLywheel question

Moderator: Moderators

FLywheel question

Postby 76wagon » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:32 pm

Wondering if there is a way to machine a newer (one piece rear main seal) flywheel to fit my older (two piece rear main seal) engine. I've never seen the 2 different flywheels side by side, I'm guessing it would be obvious if I had them in front of me. I'm doing a T56 swap with the LT1 trans. I have a line on the Centerforce flywheel for this but I'm curious if I could machine the LT1 flywheel to fit. (translation- I'm cheap and I'm a machinist)

Phill
76wagon

Re: FLywheel question

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:40 pm

I am not sure, but I thought the bolt pattern/size is different?
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:10 pm

Clyde is right that the 1piece rear main has a smaller bolt pattern and in stock applications the rear flex plate/flywheel is externally balanced (unless you ponied up for an Eagle or maybe Scat billet crank, OOOOppps you said you were cheap :pook: ) just screwin' with you Phill the Canadian thing ad's about 50% to the American catalogue price with the present exchange rate/duties etc. Is the T56 from an LS engine or an old school SBC? If it is an LS engine than the crank face dim. is different from the other 2 SBC's (sticks out further than the Gen 1 & 2,/2.2) so you than have to make up the difference (special bell housing? than you get into the whole clutch linkage debacle) as the pilot won't reach the crank if I am reading this right and remembering right as well. Two pedals is enough! :lol: Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 76wagon » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:01 pm

The trans is from an LT1 Camaro. I like the newer one having a smaller bolt pattern, not so happy with the externally balanced thing. I'm using the Camaro bellhousing and clutch so no problem there. I think I'll take back my 'cheap' and replace it with 'satisfaction of building it myself instead of just buying a part' or something like that

2 pedals is never enough! My truck has 4, that's too many sometimes...

Phill
76wagon

Postby JohnKilgore » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:44 pm

two differant circles and you can take it to the bank.
JohnKilgore

Postby Smiley » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:18 pm

Besides the different crankshaft bolt pattern there is extra weight on the one piece rear main flywheel for balance purposes.
what engine ? the early LT1 ? with the T56 trans ? but you want to use an 1986 and up flywheel ?
Smiley

Postby MonzaRacer » Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:41 am

No you must use a 1 piece rear main crank flywheel on 1 piece crank and 2pc on 2 pc.
Flywheels for either are available at any parts store. As for the cheap and being a machinist, I understand BUT trying to mix a monkey and a chihuahua are a sure sign of WANTING a failure.
Spend the cash, buy a good flywheel that fits your engine.
Lee
ASE Master Tech
MonzaRacer

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:52 pm

Eagle make's a 1 piece crank that is internally balanced but still uses the smaller bolt circle of all the other 1 piece cranks, and I could only find two, "0" balance flexplates ( sorry I didn't need a flywheel, two pedals is causing enough strain on my pocket book) for that crank and the right one for my Application is just south of $200 :bang: :cuss: (SFI and right tooth count for my tranny) so this whole crossbreeding thing gets complicated and expensive fast! Please keep us posted of your trials and tribulations Phill, these are the details that can really help us out! Thanx Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 76wagon » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:29 pm

No more trials and tribulations on this front, I realized I won't be bolting in that trans this year so I have plenty of time to find a flywheel at a good price. Found one but the guy is 3-4 hrs away but says he heads out my way from time to time. Might work out pretty well for me.

Now I want to actually mix a monkey and a chihuahua and see what happens....

Phill
76wagon

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech