Gear shift problem

Moderator: Moderators

Gear shift problem

Postby Elitedragon27 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:57 pm

Ok so this may have been handled in an earlyer thread if so i didnt find it. I have a 75 starfire that my granfather purchased from the dealer. Ever sinse he got the car ocasionaly when trying to come out of reverse it would be a problem and you would have to fight it. i have taken the trans off and had it rebuilt. had the leankage checked and all the plates on the shifter checked. im sure something has worn but now everytime if you go into reverse and try to go out it seams the 1-2 plae is slipping back about 1/8" or so and making it so you cant shif out of rev. what could i do to fix this or what shifter would be a geed replacement without needing to replace all my leankage and stuff again.
Elitedragon27

1975 Oldsmobile Starfire GT

Re: Gear shift problem

Postby RamIt » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:37 pm

Sounds like it might be advantageous to weld up the hole in the plate that attaches to the trans and file it back so it doesn't have any slop.
Fix any slop in the levers and linkage and the trans should work fine as long as you don't have any mechanical problems with the transmission.

Postby crawfw » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:39 am

There are some other threads on here about how to adjust linkage. I had this issue on two different hbodys and is the sole reason i sold my first one. There should be a hole through all the shifter plates you had mentioned. You'll have to access it from under the car or pull the shifter and linkage. Do you have the stock 4 spd shifter? Much easier to remove the shifter to access and line up these holes. A small Allen wrench works well to place through the holes to line up in the neutral position. Replace the shifter and linkage making sure the trans is in neutral as well. Then remove the pin/Allen wrench. I had to fine tune a little on the linkage to stop this reverse sticking situation. I actually pulled the shifter boot up and tied it so I could see exactly what was happening inside the shifter and then climb back under the car to make small linkage adjustments. After a few attempts it shifts like butter into and out of reverse. There is no room for error on those plates. You'll see if you watch it. May need flashlight, readers or good set of eyes, patience and very minimal adjustments to get just perfect. I'll try to find the thread and or pics of the shifter holes I'm referring to. Do you have the saginaw 4 spd? I'm sure there's other reasons this could be happening as the reverse shifter arm should be under spring pressure. But more than likely it's just the linkage adjustment provided the side cover was assembled properly on the trans.
crawfw

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby crawfw » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:11 am

Here's a great pic of the neutral alignment with a nail holding it in place. Also if your shifter is stock/floor mount, you may want to get the three rubber grommets that go on the shifter mounting hole/tunnel if yours are missing or worn. Cjbiagi had some on eBay recently.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crawfw

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:09 pm

I do still have some shifter mounting plate grommets if anyone needs some. You have to start with the basics and make sure everything is in good condition and tight. Unfortunately the way the shifter is mounted to the floor is not the best way to do it but if your car is stock that's the way it is. Making sure those grommets and mounting plate that attaches to the floor is very important. Most of those grommets have never been looked at or changed and I can assure you they are either hard as a rock or cracked and deteriorated. There are also grommets in the shift arms that can be bad, once again most people never check these and if they are close to 40 years old you can imagine how they look. The shift arm grommets are very hard to find but I believe I can still get them. After you have everything fresh then you can carefully adjust the linkage as described. Basically you need to have the trans in neutral and the pin inserted in the shifter as mentioned above. Then you carefully adjust the length of the shift arms and tighten up the nuts. I am a little more familiar with the aftermarket Hurst shifter but the principle is the same. Here is a pic of the shift arm grommet. I will also attach a link to the mounting plate grommets which describe them pretty good.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141218513970?ss ... 1555.l2649
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Elitedragon27 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:42 pm

Thank you all for the help. I will check the linkage setting. i have the orignal saginaw 4 speed and shifter.
Elitedragon27

1975 Oldsmobile Starfire GT

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:23 pm

Keep in mind if you have worn out bushings, grommets, etc you will have a hard time maintaining the adjustment. It's like doing a front end alignment with worn parts, it won't hold the adjustment.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech