Stock Vega 4 spd shifting problems

Moderator: Moderators

Stock Vega 4 spd shifting problems

Postby 74Vega » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:45 pm

my 1974 vega has the stock engine and transmission i pulled them out a long time ago and to do a v8 swap but that was a bust so i went back the stock 4 banger. so i installed the engine and tranny back in but now that i put the shifter back it doesnt seem to wanna go into the reverse gear anymore. some help would be great thanks
74Vega

Re: Stock Vega 4 spd shifting problems

Postby cjbiagi » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:26 pm

Are you sure you have the linkage connected properly and properly adjusted? There is a procedure to adjust all the linkage rods with the shifter in neutral. You can also disconnect the reverse rod from the trans and with the trans in neutral see if you can manually put the transmission in reverse by moving the shift arm on the trans. You need to diagnose whether it's a shifter issue or a trans issue. Of course be careful under the car with the trans in neutral as it can roll easily.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby 74Vega » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:38 pm

i dont think its a trans issue because before i pulled it out it went into all gears no problem i didnt know if it was in neutral or not and i dont know which link is the reverse. ill have to pull them off again it was such a pain to put it on
74Vega

Postby cjbiagi » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:38 am

There is a notch in the shifter body where you install a locating pin (usually a 1/4" drill bit works well or a large nail. Then with the pin in position and the shift rods disconnected you make sure the trans is in neutral. Now you adjust the rod lengths to slip into the arms on the trans. Remove the pin and it should be adjusted properly. By the way, the nail in the pic is too small, it needs to be larger.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby 74Vega » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:52 am

ohh maybe i missed putting that pin i dont remember taking it off but tomorrow im gonna pull the linkages off and redo them cuz im getting close to getting it running again. thanks for the info ill let you guys know how it goes tomorrow
74Vega

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:43 am

Remember the pin is just temporary for alignment purposes. It locks the shifter in neutral while you adjust the rod lengths to easily slip into the transmission arms (make sure the trans is in neutral in all gears). Then remove the pin and see how it shifts.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby 74Vega » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:22 pm

ok i took the shifter and linkages off i think the little links were flipped the wrong way. now i think i know whats going on. im gonnaa give it a shot and see how it goes
74Vega

Postby 74Vega » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:51 pm

alright! so i took the shifter out again and reconnected everything and stuck a hex key that fit perfectly through the holes i made sure everything was in neutral and i finally got it right after about 4 tries because i kept forgetting something in each try. now alls i have to do is fix the fuel pump and it should be able to go. So anyways thank you all for you support and info you guys were a great help!
74Vega

Postby cjbiagi » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:16 pm

Great, glad you got it adjusted and working well.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech