SAG ISSUES AGAIN

Moderator: Moderators

SAG ISSUES AGAIN

Postby crawfw » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:17 am

I am having issues with the old Saginaw again. Everything is real good until its driven for about 45 minutes or so. Then it starts acting crazy. Cant get into gear easily once its hot. I know some things I need to check but anything else anyone can input would be great. I'm going to check gear oil level although Im sure its topped off. Also check clearance on clutch disc if possible. I believe someone mentioned drilling a hole in the bell housing to do this. Not convinced its a clutch issue but have to check when its hot. I read on another forum to do this in gear while someone holds the clutch in and see if the driveshaft will move freely. obviously up on stands. Maybe make a ball stud adjustment inwards to get more movement on the pressure plate? One thing I guess I should check is shutting off the motor while this is going on to see if it gets better while its not running. I know it wants to grind going into reverse more than half the time so maybe it is the clutch just needs adjusted. Any pointers would be great.

Thanks
crawfw

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Re: SAG ISSUES AGAIN

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:48 pm

How far off the floor is the pedal when it starts to grab? If it is grabbing very close to the floor it could be a sign the clutch needs to be adjusted. As the clutch gets hot it could change the adjustment a bit, not sure what would be happening in the trans as it gets hot. It was me that mentioned drilling a hole to check the actual gap between the disc and flywheel, should be about .030 for a diaphragm clutch with the pedal fully depressed. However, you can adjust it by more traditional means, the clutch pedal freeplay. However, you need to be sure that the freeplay is not the result of any slack in the cable. Slack in the cable will totally throw off any clutch adjustment. If you need more info on adjusting it let me know. The fact that it grinds going into reverse does sound like a clutch issue or possibly a pilot bushing issue.
On a side note I am getting ready to rebuild my Saginaw after the show/cruise season. I have the rebuild kit and other pertinent parts for my 1st / 2nd shifting issues and have been studying it pretty thoroughly so I hope to become pretty knowledgeable on Saginaws when this is all done.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Re: SAG ISSUES AGAIN

Postby crawfw » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:08 am

I found a thread on another forum that leads me to believe it is a pilot bushing issue. someone had the same problem and resolved it by putting in another new pilot bushing the proper way.lol. I didn't use anything to keep the I.D. from collapsing while installing. I just used a socket to tap it in. It makes total sense now that I collapsed the I.D. a bit and the shaft is turning all the time. When everything gets hot, The metal expands and makes it worse. Making the I.D. even smaller.
I may try some clutch adj before I pull everything apart but I'm pretty convinced that is my issue.
apparently I didn't do enough research before replacing the clutch, pilot bushing and T.O. bearing. Its a tough way to learn.
crawfw

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech