Ok, so I can't use bearing savers in the rear axle

Moderator: Moderators

Ok, so I can't use bearing savers in the rear axle

Postby ROB » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:53 pm

And now I'm screwed. I popped out the original bearings and seals. Since one of the S-10 axles I picked up was grooved a little bit, I thought I'd just use bearing savers. Well, since they stick out about 1/4" from the axle housing (instructions says this is correct), I now don't have enough room to put the axle in far enough to catch the c-clip. Ok, I'll have to buy another axle, and now buy regular bearings and seals. So I go to remove the savers. BAD IDEA. :bang: The bearings popped out of the casing, and now the casing is just left, stuck in the housing. :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: !

Any ideas on how to get them out of the housing?
1976 Cosworth Vega, #2825
I'm not a purist, this is gonna have a V8.
ROB

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Re: Ok, so I can't use bearing savers in the rear axle

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:34 am

Rob Are these what you need? An American supplier http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea ... ing+Puller (Harbor Freight Tools) Or Northern Tool http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200391515 and now then the Canadian Supplier http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/Pull ... /8034824.p but looks like they have discontinued it at PAL :censored: these are all used with a slide hammer. Harry
Pullers.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:35 am

You may be able to rent a bearing puller at your local auto parts store. I made one when I pulled my rear bearings out of a threaded rod and a piece of steel strap, very similar to what Harry posted. A little ingenuity and you can pull them out.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby ROB » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:09 am

I rented that exact tool. But when I installed the bearing, it only went in so far, like it hit stopping plate, hence how they stick out about 1/4" per the instructions. And I think that is my problem, I can't get the puller behind the bearing to lock onto it.
ROB

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:17 am

Ok, I see your dilemma. There is a ridge that the bearing seats against. You may need to take a chisel and start at the end sticking out and tap it away from the axle. Once you do that you may be able to split it and get it out of there.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby ROB » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:38 am

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
ROB

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:35 pm

When I pulled the bearing on my Chevy Van, I did like Clyde suggested with the (all)ready (threaded) rod and some washers and it just wasn't enough to get a hold of. These tools are supposed to be sized right and I didn't have one so in the end I used the torch. Messy but effective. Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech