s10 rearends

Moderator: Moderators

s10 rearends

Postby beakerztoyz » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:58 pm

I know this has been posted here b4 but i cant seem to figure out the search thing...

there's a guy in town with a posi s10 rearend for sale what years will fit our cars ? I know it has to have been from a 2wd s10 right? also do you have to swap the whole rearend or can i just take the gears and posi out of that case and put them in the one in the car ? thanks
1980 notchback sunbird... 355
1980 monza spyder.... v8

If I woulda known then what I know now....I never woulda got an h body
beakerztoyz

1980 Pontiac Sunbird

Re: s10 rearends

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:27 pm

Well The whole rear end will not bolt in direct! Your Sunbird needs a torque arm and the S10 never had one, so next you'll only want the axles if they are 26 spline and they will pretty much slide into your existing carrier, and then you have 5 bolt set-up on the rear with only a small amount of clearancing on the backing plates or build some 1/16" spacers (Monzaz can also supply). The gears are not a bolt in either as the H-Body 7.5" 10 bolt has a unique pinion shaft that is smaller than all other 7.5" 10 bolts, So if that rear is the preferred 28 spline carrier/axles you can swap in the carrier and axles for an upgrade to your rear, but for the gears you will need to turn the pinion or buy the weaker "adapter" bearings, again Jim is your guy (Monzaz) for either choice. I'll call these the "Highlights" Harry
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Re: s10 rearends

Postby beakerztoyz » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:14 pm

Hmm thanks Harry, obviously i will have to think about this a little more then. I only actually wanted the rearend for the posi and maybe whatever gears it had at this point.
1980 notchback sunbird... 355
1980 monza spyder.... v8

If I woulda known then what I know now....I never woulda got an h body
beakerztoyz

1980 Pontiac Sunbird

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech