SAG INPUT SHAFT SIZE/DIAMETER

Moderator: Moderators

SAG INPUT SHAFT SIZE/DIAMETER

Postby crawfw » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:36 pm

Wanted to see if someone knows the input shaft diameter on the Saginaw 4 spd.
I was wanting to hone my collapsed pilot bushing rather than replacing it. Good idea or bad?
I apparently collapsed it during install not thinking of using the proper tool or an input shaft to keep that from happening.
The shaft is hanging up especially after everything gets good and hot due to the expansion of the metals.
I chased adjustments until I came upon an article that clearly leads me to believe this is the issue rather than clutch or pivot ball adjustment.

Thanks,
Bill
crawfw

1979 Pontiac Sunbird Formula

Re: SAG INPUT SHAFT SIZE/DIAMETER

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:52 pm

Bill, a stock bronze pilot bushing costs around $10, I would not mess with trying to save yours.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby crawfw » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:22 am

I don't have the removal tool and had to remove the old one with bread. lol. But I guess that's the way to go. Can you recommend the proper install tool? I don't have an input shaft laying around to use to keep it from collapsing again.
crawfw

Postby hammerdown7 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:53 am

Do you have a picture of what you are using? The stock piece is solid brass, sounds like you have something different.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Postby crawfw » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:43 pm

I had the correct solid brass pilot bushing. It slid onto the input shaft of the tranny before I installed it. I just used a socket and hammer to tap it in without knowing it might/will collapse the inside diameter. I had to run the last 1 1/2 to 2 inches of the trans in with the mounting bolts. dumb move now that I look back.
It was turning the back wheels while on jackstands with the trans in gear and the clutch in. Couldn't stop the tires with my hand so I knew it was more than just inertia through the trans. I made lots of clutch/pivot ball adj and never felt like it got much better. So I just started driving it. prob another dumb move.
But it did fine with the wheels on the ground. no shifting issues other than a little grind going into reverse. After about 20 minutes of driving, all the metal expanded and started giving me shifting issues.
I found a few posts about this happening and Im pretty sure this is my issue. I just need to have an input shaft or the right tool to install the new one to keep the ID from collapsing.
If you were wondering about the bread comment, Google it and find the you tube video on it. Its pretty cool although its similar to the grease method without the mess.
crawfw

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech