shifter mounting

Moderator: Moderators

shifter mounting

Postby robson » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:28 pm

Does the shifter just bolt to the floor or does it attach directly to the transmission? I just got my 4speed (Saginaw and it looks like only the shift levers attach to the tranny on my 1978 Monza Spyder 2+2 V8. Car came with 4speed and taken out and replaced by an automatic.
robson

Re: shifter mounting

Postby cjbiagi » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:41 pm

The shifter bolts to a mounting plate that is attached to the floor with 3 rubber grommets. There needs to be some allowance for the shifter to flex since the transmission rocks back and forth a bit. Mounting the shifter to the floor is not the best way to do it as there can be a higher likely hood of the shift rods binding up, but that's how it is on these cars. It's generally not a problem but you should make sure you have the shifter mounted with 3 good rubber bushings. I sold a number of these in the past and may be able to get more if you or anyone else is interested. I can assure you that all of these grommets are hard, dried up, cracked or possibly even missing after 35-45 years of use. It's something folks rarely check I am sure, but would be a great maintainence item. Again, if anyone is interested in grommets let me know.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby robson » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:46 pm

I NEED THE GROMETS. WHAT IS THE PRICE? HOW LONG BEFORE I GET THEM? Charles 386/405-0073
robson

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:25 pm

I would have to see about getting some more so it would be a little bit. I can order them tomorrow, not sure how fast they will arrive though. Price is $19 for a set of 3 + a couple bucks shipping. cjbiagi@yahoo.com
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:39 pm

Ok, I ordered some more shifter mounting grommets. If anyone else is interested let me know. Here's a couple of pics that show where they go. Anyone with a manual trans should check these if they have never been changed. I guarantee they are hard, cracked or disintegrating. cjbiagi@yahoo.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby robson » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:40 am

I was able to find some bushings locally thanks anyway Charles
robson

Postby gotmud7 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:37 pm

So you asked for help locating them, told Clyde you needed some. He ordered them for you, then you backed out? If I were Clyde I wouldn't help find you anymore parts.

Mark
The only Vega's that only had a little rust were the ones still on the assembly line.
gotmud7

1972 Chevrolet Vega GT

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:26 pm

Ok, I am just seeing this but I am not going to get bent out of shape over it. If anyone is interested I should have some grommets next week. I spent a fair amount of time (awhile back) to locate the correct grommets. It is important that all dimensions are correct, the outside diameter, the inside diameter, the thickness, and the size of the groove that fits the mounting plate. They have to fit the shoulder bolt correctly in order to work as designed. If anyone would like a set let me know, they will also be on ebay.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:07 pm

I have received the shifter mounting grommets so if anyone is interested let me know. I also have a set on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/141616727889?it ... m=&vxp=mtr

I have made sure that these fit both the mounting plate as well as the shoulder screws correctly. If you have a manual trans and have never checked these I can assure you they are probably as hard as a rock and will crumble when you take them apart. They are right in the driveshaft tunnel and subject to a lot of heat.
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech