Moser 12 bolt First one for J D RAce

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Moser 12 bolt First one for J D RAce

Postby monzaz » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:24 am

I just wished that GM would have made a Larger stronger rear for the F-body cars.... I know they had a Dana 44...(special only turbo car rear) But really they should have created a 10 bolt 8.5 casting They did a GN / 442 8.5 rear for the G-body and only ran that for 3-4 years...??? The camaro ran for 14 years after the production of the GN??? What the heck was up with that? A bit discussing the lack of support for the f-body in parts strength...

BUT Hey I bought a 2014 Chevy 6.6 dura max quad cab 4x4 LT 1 ton... (FIRST NEW VEHICLE I EVER BOUGHT at age 46) and they can not even get the thing to go straight down the road.... ate a set of front tires at 3000 miles, vibration at the wheel, DEF fluid like going off all the time, driver side rear caliper hangs up, 6 alignments 3 different dealers and 2 off site locations dealer sent it to (one of them cracked the windshield too...)???? So why should i really expect anything but LESS.... Hmmm ??? Why indeed.

Middle of a Lemon law with this 58K pile of crap (2 years now still not resolved.) Yippee me!

WOW I am tired... rambling on about Nothing .... :cuss: :bang: SORRY......

Take care all....
Jim
J D Race & Restoration
Richfield, Oh
JDRACE.COM
monzaz

Postby monzaz » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:36 am

stage169 wrote:Jim that really looks nice!

I had a problem with the calipers hitting the car. I know the rear suspension travel probably isn't very much. With the car at a neutral position from the rear spring perch to the limit might only be around 4-6 inches. After clocking my calipers as far down as possible the next thing that hit was the rear TA bracket. I started on the tunnel where the bracket hits but haven't finished. Maybe these pictures will help.

If you have already test fit the rear then I'm sorry for bringing it up. Just curious and always looking for alternate ideas for mine. I can always remove my pics if you want I realize what I've added might not be ideal. Brian

We widened the rear slightly to hopefully clear that trouble area. I have 2 Monzas so measuring a lot from those cars helped a lot.

NOW the torque arm is a totally unchecked area. I hope my customer can figure that hurdle out. He sounds like a very resourceful gentleman will see.

He was going to use 4.75 rim offset so that is another reason for a bit wider rear at the housing flange and we used the NEW ford Torino ends (7750) on this build because of the WilWood brakes have very popular brake combos with this housing end.
Rear end was 57" over all width. 54.35 is about stock overall width. so only about 1.25 inch on each side wider.... The big difference is where the flange is at...Ford / WilWood brakes only usea 2.5 brake offset ... much shallower than GM and that is what will give the extra caliper clearance...
J D Race & Restoration
Richfield, Oh
JDRACE.COM
monzaz

Postby stage169 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:41 am

I noticed after already posting pictures :shock: That is why I edited my previous post. He will be fine with the TA if he just puts it as close as possible to the drive shaft. Brian
stage169

Previous

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech