rear end length

Moderator: Moderators

rear end length

Postby 77nighthawk » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:38 pm

Ok, I've been checking, and pricing rear ends to upgrade my Monza. What is the length of the rear end from wheel to wheel mounting flanges? I am going to use drum brakes on the rear, and it looks like the 10" ford drum brakes are what is used mostly with the ford big bearing ends. Is anyone else on here using this setup? Are there any clearance issues with the stock torque arm suspension? I will probably go with the Moser 12 bolt housing with the torque arm mount, but for $1200, just for the housing and axles, I want to get it right the first time. $3000 for a complete rear end with drum brakes, posi, and 4.11 ring and pinion, through Moser. I think that price is including brackets for the 82-92 Camaro though. Maybe cheaper if they leave those off? Brad
If it don't scare me, I don't want it.

the growing collection
1977 nighthawk
1979 Monza hb
77nighthawk

Re: rear end length

Postby cjbiagi » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:39 am

Have you spoke with Jim at JDRace? he is a active member on this site and rearends are his business and really knows H bodies. He has helped many people on this site. He goes under the name of Monzaz here.
http://www.jdrace.com/contact/contact.htm
Last edited by cjbiagi on Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Smiley » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:24 am

The stock width is not always optimal, since you are having it built pick your wheels and tires then have the housing and axles made to fit.
Most housings are 49.5" plus 5" for axle offsets = 54.5" overall.
Smiley

Postby TOM71VEGA » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:55 am

I was looking for a rear for my Vega, called several places. Many did not even call me back.
I went with Quick performance in IA, They have the jig for torque arm cars.
They had me send them my housing, so they can make the rear for my car since it is a 71.
They are going to make a jig for the 71-73 cars, from the rear from my car.
Before spending 3000.00 call these guys. They might have what you need.
Tom
TOM71VEGA

1971 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby Monza Harry » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:36 pm

cjbiagi wrote:Have you spoke with Jim at JDRace? he is a active member on this site and rearends are his business and really knows H bodies. He has helped many people on this site. He goes under the name of Monzaz here.
http://www.jdrace.com/contact/contact.htm

I will second Jim, he answers questions all the time for members here and will talk to you if you call and answer all your questions. And as such he deserves a chance at all of our business. I am willing to bet that after talking to him even if he isn't the cheapest (he will be competitive) you will likely opt for the service and expertise (H-Body and Rears) you will clearly experience from your first call onwards . Harry memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=443
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby 77nighthawk » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:51 pm

Hey Clyde, I have been thinking about giving Jim a shout. I've read through his 12 bolt post with the wildwood disc brakes, a lot. I saw in the post where members were having clearance issues with the disc setups, but nothing about the drum setup, that I can remember.

Hey Smiley, thanks for the measurement. I already have my wheels, they fit pretty good with the stock length. The 265/50/15 tires poke out just a little, but I'm planning on using a 245/60 instead, to get them inside the fenders.

20151025_163852r.jpg

Hey TOM71VEGA, thanks for the info on them. I will probably set the rear up myself, at work.

Hey Harry. I plan on giving Jim a call before I buy anything. I imagine he can answer any question I have. And, maybe, make me a deal on some parts.

Does anyone still make lca and spring brackets?

Brad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If it don't scare me, I don't want it.

the growing collection
1977 nighthawk
1979 Monza hb
77nighthawk

Postby hammerdown7 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:07 pm

77nighthawk wrote:Hey Clyde, I have been thinking about giving Jim a shout. I've read through his 12 bolt post with the wildwood disc brakes, a lot. I saw in the post where members were having clearance issues with the disc setups, but nothing about the drum setup, that I can remember.

The clearance issue with disc's is interference between the caliper and inside wheel well, drums shouldn't be a problem.

Dick
hammerdown7

1976 Chevrolet Vega Cosworth

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech