Torque Arm Movement

Moderator: Moderators

Torque Arm Movement

Postby bugdewde » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:07 pm

How much does the Torque Arm move forward and backward? Only the bushing gives, not the slider adjusting mechanism, right?

Seems I don't have the shorter T-50 torque arm, as it's the same length as what was on the auto trans in the car.
It's close to the right length, though. One bolt hole off.
Torque Arm up.jpeg

So my buddy is wanting to cut the forward hole off the bracket and reweld it to the back of the bracket so that I'll have all three bolts attaching the torque arm to the T-50 trans. I'm not particularly worried about having all three bolts on there, but I'll go along with his notion.
I'm more worried about adjustability forward/backward of the mount/bushing. I'm thinking when the car is back on the ground (up on lift, now), everything will settle and the torque arm will bottom out on the trans and be in a bind.

Any good methods for shortening a Torque Arm, if this method fails?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Re: Torque Arm Movement

Postby cjbiagi » Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:35 pm

You are correct that all of the movement is in the rubber bushing. Nothing else slides once everything is bolted up. I have seen torque arms that have been cut and then rewelded together. If done correctly it should be as strong as it was originally. It helps to weld a backer plate across the seam so that it is actually reinforced and ends up being stronger than before it was cut.....assuming it is welded correctly. The seam would be welded and then the backer plate welded to both sides of the arm. That would probably be the easiest way to shorten it. As with any rubber suspension bushing they should not be tightened until the car is at normal ride height, this will prevent any binding in the bushing.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby Monza Harry » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:33 pm

No the movement isn't all in the bushing! I was looking for a pic without going outside and finding mine for a pic, when Nick supplied one for us in his journal. :th: The bracket that attaches to the tranny has a slot to allow for movement created by the solid mounted lowers and the differential arc's of the two different radius' (Lower C A's vs. Torque Arm) Harry
Torque Arm Travel.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I'm not a hoarder I'm a preservationist 78 Monza Spyder (~Soon(ish +/- I guess) To Be 2+2 with Spoilers)
Monza Harry

1978 Chevrolet Monza 2+2

Postby cjbiagi » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:06 pm

I don't think that is designed to slide after everything is torqued down.
Clyde.........75 Monza 2+2
cjbiagi

1975 Chevrolet Monza

Postby cammerjeff » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:03 pm

You are correct Clyde, it allows for some movement during installation, but it is fixed in position once all the hardware is tightened.
Jeff R

1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer
77 Astre Formula, some day soon powered by a 215 Buick V-8
1973 4-speed Lemans Safari STOCK!!!!! 1978 Catalina Safari
2006 Mallet Solstice, 6.0 LS2, 6-speed manual
2009 Solstice Coupe, 2.4, 5-speed Manual
cammerjeff

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari Wagon

Postby Smiley » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:47 pm

I would install the front bracket in the correct location with all 3 bolts and shorten the torque arm to the correct length or obtain the T50 arm.
They made different length arms and put 3 bolts in there for a reason.
Smiley

Postby bugdewde » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:37 am

Thanks guys. I knew the movement was in the bushing... the slot was for mounting and then tightening after you put a load on the suspension. I was worried about the AMOUNT of movement. Seems the torque arm might be a bit long and I thought it might interfere with the trans crossmember.

Sadly, I'm having fitment issues with everything. If you haven't seem my thread on my '72 Kammback Project Journal.... in summary, everything.
Crossmember to body.... crossmember to trans mount.... driveshaft length ..... and torque arm.

Gonna have to do some more fabbing than I hoped for. This crap was supposed to be a simple bolt-in job.
Every component used (except for the 7.5" rear) was previously used in a '72 Hatchback with success.... for years. Then the crossmember and driveshaft were transfered to my blue car when I did the T50 swap in it (different trans).
Suspect some slight variance in motor mounts ..... and maybe the 7.5" rear sticks out further than a 6.5" ???? Anyone know?
Dwight

'72 Vega GT Kammback, 215 V8
'73 Vega Wagon - Currently in Limbo....
My rides: http://www.cardomain.com/id/bugdewde
bugdewde

1972 Chevrolet Vega Kammback GT

Postby NVEGAR8D » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:16 am

Hi, Sorry if i'm hijacking your thread but i have a question. Are there torque arms in different lengths? Mine ended up being short and i'll have to lengthen it.It is 60 1/2 inches long over all when extended at ride height.
Thanks. Nick
nick75vega
NVEGAR8D

1975 Chevrolet Vega Hatchback

Postby 283vega » Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:43 am

Yes the 7.5 rear requires a slightly shorter drive shaft. I think I had to shorten mine buy 1.25" . I didnt have to shorten my torque arm though.
283 vega
70 corvette

Brian
283vega

Postby cammerjeff » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:52 am

From the FAQ sections of this site

Robert (twelve_second_vega) writes:
"Keep in mind the T-50 is almost 4" longer overall than a Saginaw and the Mount Pad is 3" farther rearward too. The Driveshaft and Torque Arm are unique also. There are basically (3) driveshaft lengths in the "H" Body cars (measurements are tube length only from weld to weld):

4 Cylinder with Automatic or Saginaw: 46 1/2"
V6/V8 with Automatic or Saginaw: 42 1/4"
V6/V8 with T-50 Transmission: 39 3/4"

The V6/V8 Torque Arm bears the numbers "5343" and the V6/V8 with T-50 bears the numbers "5353".

The only question I would have in addition to this info is does this apply to the 6.5" axle also?
Jeff R

1971 Catalina Freeway Enforcer
77 Astre Formula, some day soon powered by a 215 Buick V-8
1973 4-speed Lemans Safari STOCK!!!!! 1978 Catalina Safari
2006 Mallet Solstice, 6.0 LS2, 6-speed manual
2009 Solstice Coupe, 2.4, 5-speed Manual
cammerjeff

1978 Pontiac Sunbird Safari Wagon

Return to Transmission and Driveline Tech